need help: M.2 screw is too short when I added the SSD Heatsink on

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.newegg.com/p/37B-0037-00002?Description=jeyi&cm_re=jeyi-_-9SIAHB07RX6296-_-Product

bought this useless piece of shit

when I mount the heatsink w/ the black rectangle on it, the black metal increases the thickness of the M.2 SSD. So when I try to use the motherboard screw for that M.2 hole, the length of the screw is not long enough to screw in while the heatsink is part of the unit.

What I need is a screw slightly longer to mount the m.2 on the motherboard. The Jeyi doesn't c/w this screw, and the one that c/w the motherboard is too short. if I simply install a M.2 SSD w/o the Jeyi, the screw that c/w the motherboard does screw in very nicely

how do you guys do this?

From the picture it looks like the m2 screw goes on the outer edge of the SSD just missing the black part or the heatsink part. You probably need to make sure that the black part is as far away from the edge as possible.

There's actually two ways to screw in a M.2 drive...there's straight-up with a M.2 screw, which works unless you have something like a motherboard M.2 shield or a heatsink like this, then there's one that basically has a standoff that goes where the M.2 screw normally goes with its own type of screw. Bit difficult to explain; my motherboard came with the standoffs and screws because it came with M.2 shields. I'm actually aware of this heatsink as it's often used with the SM961 which I covered a lot when it was on sale earlier this year but I was not aware of this issue.

It sounds like the HS is hitting something on the motherboard, sometimes.
Making it either a motherboard specific problem as in some motherboards have tallish 'things' that interfere with the HS.
Or placement of the HS is critical, in that a millimetre one way or the other causes interference.

Try moving the HS one way and the other to eliminate the second cause.

in the end, I found a website that has longer screw but haven't got the time to order just yet as they need QTY 50 min.

IIRC m.2 SSDs typically use (coincidentally) standard metric M2 screws. Most any decent hardware store should carry those in the length you need.

I was surprisingly able to use a case thumb screw to keep one my m.2 drives in, might be worth a shot?

There is a metal thing that goes in the hole in your motherboard corresponding to the length of the stick, That sets the screw end height of the stick equal to Where the connector locates the other end. That the securing screw threads into.

I wonder how it is held in place by the motherboard.

6/32" threads directly in the multiple layer fiberglass?

gigabyte motherboad is much better in that sense. JUst screw in and no problem there. I'm using Asus in the above

go to your local hardware store or electronics shop and buy a screw. yes you need to leave your moms basement for that. :)

Back