Need help keeping music organized

Blu_Haze

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
173
I'm currently using foobar2000, and I need some recommendations for quality audio organizing software. In a nut shell what I need is something that will automatically retrieve detailed and accurate ID3 tag information, as well as physically sorting where my media is stored on the computer. Album art is a bonus, but not a deal breaker. Either a component made specifically for foobar2000, or a stand-alone program would be fine, whichever is the best at what I need.

So far I've tried a few programs like MediaMonkey, but haven't found any that I'm really content with yet. MM is nice, but I don't plan on using it for actually playing music, and I'm not too keen on the fact that it uses Amazon for tag information. :rolleyes:
 
MusicBrainz (maybe spelled wrong) worked out alright for me. Or at least good for whole albums, no problems with tags being incomplete or anything excellent for my mp3 player. Probably could tag and organize 50-150 albums an hour figure that wasn't too shabby, would've liked it to be quicker but oh well.
 
foobar has freedb support built right in. (assuming you checked the box for it along with masstagger when you installed)
 
foobar has freedb support built right in. (assuming you checked the box for it along with masstagger when you installed)

That it does, but I've had pretty poor luck with it. For one, the default freedb database that it connects to has been complete garbage. Unless I'm using a fresh CD that's still in the drive, I can't get it to retrieve any usable results at all. For example, a few years ago I ripped some tracks from my Mellon Collie album by Smashing Pumpkins. If I try to look up the freedb information for the song "Zero", I don't even get a single match that's remotely close to what it should be. With that search I just got 52 matches, ranging anywhere from Beccy Cole to Static-X. Not to mention the half dozen albums in asian characters. No Pumpkins.

It's the same story no matter what freedb server I try to use, whether it was the one that foobar had setup by default (which was australian for some reason) or if I tried to switch it to freedb.org, or freedb2.org. So either something went horribly wrong with the way I have the built in freedb set up, or that service has recently become terrible with single tracks or songs that no longer have the original CD ID.

Either way, the built in freedb support still doesn't handle everything I want it to, namely organizing the files on my hard drive in addition to editing the tags. Thanks for replying though.
 
MusicBrainz (maybe spelled wrong) worked out alright for me. Or at least good for whole albums, no problems with tags being incomplete or anything excellent for my mp3 player. Probably could tag and organize 50-150 albums an hour figure that wasn't too shabby, would've liked it to be quicker but oh well.

Agreed--Brainz is pretty solid. Give it a shot.

http://www.musicbrainz.org
 
Back
Top