Need help just DL the Win 7 RC free trial

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Ok, I went to the Microsoft technet site to get the free trial download version of Windows 7. One thing I am confused at is the small 3GB download size ? I thought a new OS would be 40+GB ?

So I downloaded the 3GB file at work on my Win XP machine into a folder, so can I now copy that folder to my 4gb flashdrive ? And then I want to install it on my 2nd home computer, how do I do that ? Can I just plug in my flashdrive to the USB port, and will have a brand new fresh harddrive, how do I start the install process ?

Thanks, for helping this newb. Even though I have built a dozen computers for myself over the years with no problems, this just stumps me

Its an iso file that you've downloaded, burn that to a dvd, stick the dvd in the drive and install.

I think I found the answer;
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/installation-instructions.aspx

The RC download is an ISO file, which you'll need to burn onto a blank disc before you can install it. To do that, you'll need to use software designed for burning ISO files.

In addition to commercial ISO burning software, there are free programs such as ISOBuster and Active ISO Burner. To find one, go to a site such as Download.com or Tucows and search for "ISO," "DVD," and "burn".

Follow the instructions that came with your program to create a Windows 7 RC installation disc.

Dang, I don't have a DvD burner :(

My Brother has a DvD burner. So can I still copy this downloaded file onto my flash drive and bring to my brothers computer where he can then create this ISO disc ?

Fuck me :( I just looked at my flash drive, and it is just 2 freaking Giga fucking bites LOL...I thought I had my 4gb here.

Oh well, hopefully I can re download this again on the Micro$haft website tonight ?

If you have a flash drive and can boot from it you DON'T need a DVD drive. The link is post.

I have built my self systems left and right since the mid 90's...Most were pretty simple for me plug and play, install OS, and drivers etc...done :cool:

I started off building with Win95...then Win98...then Win 2k...then Win XP...then Vitsa64...but they always were on discs I popped into the cd-rom or dvd-rom after I had all my parts put together in the new case, turn it on make sure it all fired up correctly and away we went onto the OS, and driver install. Never having any real problems ever over the years.

But I have never installed an OS not from a disc before, so this is new to me. Thank you for the advice I will figure this out now, and good links for me to read info about.

You can extract the ISO file to the hard drive or flash drive (using 7-Zip like mentioned above) into a folder. If you have an OS already installed, you can just run the setup and it will reboot into the Windows 7 setup. From here you can choose to either upgrade or do a custom install.

This is how I switched my work machine Windows 7 RC to RTM, since I didn't have a DVD burner at hand.

Back