Need help installing Firefox 52 ESR

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Old instructions used to work but now they install v60 instead. I can DL v52 but need some help getting it installed correctly. Google is of no help.

Thanks

Old instructions used to work but now they install v60 instead. I can DL v52 but need some help getting it installed correctly. Google is of no help.

Thanks
Why do you want to install an old version?

Edit: THIS should work...

Last edited:

Because anything newer doesn't support the older addons and extensions that so many of us use would be my guess. I have zero use for anything past ESR 52 and will not use Firefox in newer versions because of that reason. I have some addons and extensions that I use along with all the customizations I've made to my Firefox ESR Portable that cannot be done with newer versions so, basically I'll be saying "Fuck you, Mozilla..." because of it.

But that's just me, of course, and I damned well know I ain't alone.

Because anything newer doesn't support the older addons and extensions that so many of us use would be my guess. I have zero use for anything past ESR 52 and will not use Firefox in newer versions because of that reason. I have some addons and extensions that I use along with all the customizations I've made to my Firefox ESR Portable that cannot be done with newer versions so, basically I'll be saying "Fuck you, Mozilla..." because of it.

But that's just me, of course, and I damned well know I ain't alone.

I could not have said it better.

I tried those instructions before and they didn't work but I'll try them again. When I extract the tar package FF will run just fine but it's no integrated with the OS so I can't click on links in email or any other program and It's not in the menu. And Mozilla says nothing about installing it.

I tried Opera and it would work if I could move my passwords and fastdial bookmarks over from FF but that doesn't appear possible. My plan is to stick with 52 as long as I can and then suffer.

Didn't work. No sign of FF in the menu, desktop, etc. I think if I could figure out how to integrate it into the OS It would work but alas I know not how to do this.
And by the way, there is at least 2 variations of the above instructions. One using opt and the other usr. Both are clear as mud to me. :(

OK, I've fought this long enough. I can add the 52.9.0 repository just fine, I can update just fine but when I try to install it it can find the package. I've followed every list of instructions I can find and NONE of them work. I've asked for help in installing it from the Mozilla ftp but I can't get a response. I know I'm for the most part ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff but I can follow instructions and I can understand explanations/tutorials so long as they are accurate and complete (Never seen any, don't know if they exist). Sooooo on to PLAN 2. I have another system with Mint Cinnamon that I installed ESR 52 before they blocked it. Only problem is it's on an 80gb SSD. I'd like to move it to a larger SSD. Any guidance much appreciated.

Or maybe i should just disappear. :(

You should be able to use the "dd" command to clone the 80GB SSD to a larger SSD. This is another example using "dd". Then you should be able to expand the 80GB partition using GParted.

I haven't done this myself, but hope this helps.

Ok I know its not the way most of us like to install Linux software....

But why not just download it from Mozilla yourself.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/#legacy

You can download 64bit or 32bit versions there.

You can then either just hand copy the files to /usr then create a .desktop entry to launch it from Gnome or whatever you need to do for whatever DE your using.

Another option... create your own .deb file

Download the tar ball... it contains /firefox

Create a directory for your firefox files going to your .deb; treat it like its /root create /usr dirs;
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr/local
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin

Extract your tar ball somewhere such as your /home/firefox_52.9 (or whatever is logical... or just extract the tar ball directly to the correct location... such as firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin

cp "~/firefox_52.9" firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin (if you extracted it to its own dir)

Now create a .deb control
mkdir firefox_52.9/DEBIAN
nano firefox_52.9/DEBIAN/control

Add text such as;
Package: firefox
Version: 52.9
Section: base
Priority: optional
Architecture: i386
Depends: dbus-glib (>=0.110-1), ffmpeg (>=1:4.0.2-2), gtk3 (>=3.22.30-1), icu (>=62.1-1), libpulse (>=12.2-2), libvpx (>=1.7.0-1), libxt (>=1.1.5-2), nss (>=3.38-1), sqlite (>=3.24.0-1), startup-notification (>=0.12-5)
Maintainer: Deadjasper
Description: Mozilla 52.9

The control file tells the package manager name version ect, and lists dependencies. I'm pretty sure based on the Arch Linux AUR entry that those are the dependencies you would want... the versions are likely all much newer however then what Ubuntu ships... so as this .deb is just for you could either leave depends blank.... or check and see what versions Ubuntu ships... and change version numbers. (>= is simply saying greater then or = to version xxx.x

Once everything is is extracted and you have created your control file. Simply run
dpkg-deb --build firefox_52.9-1

That should give you your own custom .deb installer.

When new versions launch you'll have to create a new .deb... but that's not to big a deal. (just keep your control file around... and update depends if your going that far) :)

PS.... now do the same for 4-5 other packages, then start bundling your own Ubuntu Spin distro. ;) lol

Last edited:
Ok I know its not the way most of us like to install Linux software....

But why not just download it from Mozilla yourself.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/#legacy

You can download 64bit or 32bit versions there.

You can then either just hand copy the files to /usr then create a .desktop entry to launch it from Gnome or whatever you need to do for whatever DE your using.

Another option... create your own .deb file

Download the tar ball... it contains /firefox

Create a directory for your firefox files going to your .deb; treat it like its /root create /usr dirs;
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr/local
mkdir firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin

Extract your tar ball somewhere such as your /home/firefox_52.9 (or whatever is logical... or just extract the tar ball directly to the correct location... such as firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin

cp "~/firefox_52.9" firefox_52.9/usr/local/bin (if you extracted it to its own dir)

Now create a .deb control
mkdir firefox_52.9/DEBIAN
nano firefox_52.9/DEBIAN/control

Add text such as;
Package: firefox
Version: 52.9
Section: base
Priority: optional
Architecture: i386
Depends: dbus-glib (>=0.110-1), ffmpeg (>=1:4.0.2-2), gtk3 (>=3.22.30-1), icu (>=62.1-1), libpulse (>=12.2-2), libvpx (>=1.7.0-1), libxt (>=1.1.5-2), nss (>=3.38-1), sqlite (>=3.24.0-1), startup-notification (>=0.12-5)
Maintainer: Deadjasper
Description: Mozilla 52.9

The control file tells the package manager name version ect, and lists dependencies. I'm pretty sure based on the Arch Linux AUR entry that those are the dependencies you would want... the versions are likely all much newer however then what Ubuntu ships... so as this .deb is just for you could either leave depends blank.... or check and see what versions Ubuntu ships... and change version numbers. (>= is simply saying greater then or = to version xxx.x

Once everything is is extracted and you have created your control file. Simply run
dpkg-deb --build firefox_52.9-1

That should give you your own custom .deb installer.

When new versions launch you'll have to create a new .deb... but that's not to big a deal. (just keep your control file around... and update depends if your going that far) :)

PS.... now do the same for 4-5 other packages, then start bundling your own Ubuntu Spin distro. ;) lol

Thank you sir. I'll jump back on this tomorrow.

Back