• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help in putting clear over copper

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2003
Messages
7,346
Anyone got any ideas on how to get some kind of clear coat over my copper waterblock sides? Have tried acrylic conforming spray, Krylon Clear spray, and brushed on acrylic top coat. The best results I have had is with the acrylic top coat, but I can't seem to keep the bubbles off the metal when brushing. Trying more than one coat turns into a mess so it has to be a one coat deal. I lapped the sides of my copper waterblocks to about 3,000 grit for some bling and just want to put something over it that will protect the shine and not allow for air oxidation.

Do you think some king of hard wax might work better?
 
I'm willing to try anything at this point so I will pick some up tonight at the grocery store. Thank you!
 
you might be able to powdercoat clear it? not sure ive never dealt with powdercoating copper but i know there are a ton of different clears. Microbial clears, teflon clears, and acrylic that I can think of.
 
Tunabow said:
you might be able to powdercoat clear it? not sure ive never dealt with powdercoating copper but i know there are a ton of different clears. Microbial clears, teflon clears, and acrylic that I can think of.

Do you know if they would be able to mask off the threads and bottom of the waterblocks?
 
yep they sure can, they can put silicone plugs in the threads and then tape off the bottom with the green thermal tape. If they cant do it then i might be that you cant powdercoat copper. Im not sure of coppers melting point but typical powder cure at about 385 to 400 degrees.
 
Tunabow said:
yep they sure can, they can put silicone plugs in the threads and then tape off the bottom with the green thermal tape. If they cant do it then i might be that you cant powdercoat copper. Im not sure of coppers melting point but typical powder cure at about 385 to 400 degrees.

Copper WON'T melt at those temperatures. Soldering is normally at 600-700 degrees and it doesn't come close to melting copper.
 
Copper's melting point is something like 2000*C. It's insanely high, so you're not going to end up melting it :)
 
google is a great thing.
Copper's melting point is 1084.62 °C (1984.32 °F)
 
Tunabow IS a powdercoater, at least last time I checked. I want to drop off some parts for the winter too.
 
brasherman said:
Tunabow IS a powdercoater, at least last time I checked. I want to drop off some parts for the winter too.

Yep, ive just never had any expirence with coating copper but i dont see why it wouldnt work if it doesnt melt which it seems it doesnt. Try to find out what the local prices are in your area. I know for something like that we charge 45 bucks as its a minimum order but minimum orders vary and depending on how cool the place is they might be clearing something sometime soon which we are doing a lot and could just throw the part in for like 15 bucks. Also make sure to tell them what to mask off veru specifically so they dont mess it up.

good luck :D
 
While we are on the subject what would the possibilities be to do silver waterblocks?
 
same thing as above, if it doesnt melt then your good to go. It would be a new thing for us as we have never done any copper or silver. The clear coat would kinda keep the heat inside im assuming which i dont know if that will affect temps.
 
Back
Top