Need Help In Choosing A 23-24" Monitor

Gaming

n00b
Sorry if my English isn't very good, it's not my native language.
I'm looking for a 23-24" 1920x1080 monitor that will be good for gaming but also for my everyday use (which includes programming for long hours).
So far I found the Dell u2312hm and the Samsung s23a700d. The Samsung should be better for gaming but it is a glossy screen and I'm afraid it will cause me eystrain (I spend a lot of time on my computer).
Will the glossy panel be a problem if there isn't any direct light on the screen (the only source of light in the room is on the ceiling)?
Which monitor should I pick - the u2312hm or the s23a700d?

I woudl recommend a 1920x1200 monitor. I went with the dell 23 ( U2311H) a couple of years ago and while the monitor itself is great (very little bleed good colours et all) I really dislike the 1080 perspective (that's just me). Anyways I have no complaint with the dell monitor - it was fairly cheap but I think it is ips or close enough to ips (definitely not tnt). I liked it better than the dell 22 I have (purchased in 2009 - some highly regarded model (2209WA) but I never liked it as much as other folks).
-
Sadly every year Dell changes model # so I have no clue how the u2312Hm compares. I've heard horrible things about samsung support which is enough for me to avoid a samsung monitor (there is a rather nasty thread here on hardforum and I've heard similar elsewhere). Dell support is not as good as it used to be but it is still probably the best around.

Thanks for the reply!
I think I prefer the 16:9 resolution because I'm used to it and more games support it.
The Samsung s23a700d is more appealing to me because of the 120Hz, 2ms response time and 3D, but I'm worried that staring at the glossy screen for a long time will cause eyestrain.
I want to hear the opinion of someone who owns the s23a700d or a different Samsung glossy screen.

Please, I really want to hear your opinions about the glossy panel (and about the s23a700d vs the u2312hm).

Glossy only causes eye strain if you have a lot of light in the room. Otherwise it actually causes less eye irritation.

Glossy only causes eye strain if you have a lot of light in the room. Otherwise it actually causes less eye irritation.

Should I get the Samsung s23a700d then? I'm really confused.
The Samsung has better specs: 120Hz, 2ms respone time and 3D, yet some people recommend the Dell (the only advantage it has is the IPS panel).

IPS is a really big advantage. Better put, 120Hz and 2ms and 3D is the only advantage the Samsung has. Personally I would rather have a quality screen over marketing bells and whistles. Of course 120hz support is useful. Check the input lag on each as some TN's have tremendous lag that negates all the speed written on the box. The U2312 has relatively low input lag as seen in tests but has really fairly aggressive AG coating that may bother some.
You can get the best of both worlds and get the Asus VG23AH.
IPS/ 3D/ 76Hz support/ Semi gloss coating closer to glossy/ 5ms/ >8ms input lag.
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...h-review-semi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html

Personally, I won't choose Dell's monitor since the coating layer is very annoying. It makes the screen look extremely grainy. Did you check out Eizo Foris FS2333 yet? It is one of the very first ISP monitor with fairy low input lag you can use it either for gaming and photo editing. Moreover, it got high quality control, and it made in Japan. The price is a bit stiff for 23" monitor, but it does worth it. You can check it out here :http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1700242

Back