• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help improving my pc audio experience

tgs

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
91
Right now:
Onboard Realtek ALC1200
Logitech X-530 (in 3.1 mode) - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG

This should also give you an idea of my current audio snobbery as well (none at all).


Problems with current setup:
During some games I get hissing. It appears to be hardware related and not software since different versions of Windows exhibit it to different degrees and driver revisions and hookup configurations do not affect it. I assume it's just the weakness of the onboard being overwhelmed by the rest of my components (there's a GTX285 sitting in my machine as well).

Speakers are old, have had them since I can remember. It's time to move to better things.


My current audio uses:
Terrible music (MP3/internet radio stations, nothing awesomely high quality), gaming, and movies (varrying sound quality, moving my collection over to h264/ac3 though).


Goal (2.1 {or 3.1} with a possibility of expanding to 5.1 later, though the 5.1 expansion isn't terribly important to me):
Xonar DX (or possibly one of the lesser Xonars if they will be adequate)
Subwoofer - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635 or http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=303-430
Bookshelves - Still not 100% decided but Pioneer SP-BS41-LR are looking good from the reviews on different forums. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846


Questions I have:
The BIC does not appear to have RCA connectors. If I get it, how would I hook that up exactly? I assume I'll end up stripping some wires from an analog connector?

The SP-BS41-LR are not self powered. Aside from going to a full out receiver setup, what would be the best way to power these to hook up to a card such as the Xonar? I've seen the suggestions for powered bookshelves as well such as the AV20s and AV40s. I'm not totally against such speakers but I am trying to keep my setup flexible for later expansions which probably means unpowered speakers through some amp.

Due to space constraints, I will probably require bookshelf stands. Something durable and adjustable to as low as 3-4ft (I sit on the floor for my computing purposes... yeah I'm weird). Suggestions?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I see a lot of posts with people being very vague. Thank you for being very precise and giving a lot of information.

You only forgot one thing budget.

You have several options... you could get a dayton T amp which i have not heard myself but have heard good things.. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

But then again no sub preouts.... BUT if you get good enough speakers... you might not feel the need for a sub. i once had the EXACT 5.1 setup you have no which i thought sounded great and i "knew" i had to have a sub when i moved to an amp and bookshelves but now i am happy to say i don't need or want a subwoofer for my PC setup (but i am on this forum for a reason i love overdoing it!)

I would go with the dayton 12" sub if you were although it gets bad reviews for it's speaker level inputs..
otherwise you could go on ebay or craiglist and find an inexpensive 5.1 or 7,1 receiver (find one with optical if you can because of your possible upgrade to 5.1)

I moved from your setup to a amp/bookshelves and i was extremely satisfied. The amp i'm using now is EXTREMELY good for the price i purchased it for around $200 just check my signature...

My recomendation for you is to buy a 5.1 receiver and get a pair of bookshelf speakers and go from there.
 
Thanks for the input.

As per my budget, it's variable. I would prefer to keep the entire 2.1 set within about $500 or so. But I can afford more if it should come to that. But just because I can spend that money, doesn't mean I don't mind saving a bit if I'm not going to notice the audio quality difference though.

I looked at the amp you mentioned in your sig and it does appear to be something that would suit my needs (since I'm not looking to get a full blown receiver). I had seen the dayton amp but wondered if it would be enough to power those bookshelf speakers I had linked.

I'm pretty much on the verge of also buying some PC350 or PC360 headphones as well (really leaning towards the PC350s since they'll be easier to travel with and I can pick up an usb DAC to plug them into my laptop).
 
I see i see. I have never heard those speakers and they could be awesome but i think there are better alternatives for the money...

if you wanted to spend <$600

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVR391/Denon-AVR-391.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CSSB10B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-Sub10-Black.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS26B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-26-Black.html X2

I actually went with the: http://www.amazon.com/Acoustech-H-100-Front-Firing-Subwoofer-High-Gloss/dp/B0006DNW6U

For my sub and got some gigaworks T40's until I move in the fall. I figured once I'm settled into my new place I'll just grab a nice receiver and bookshelves and give my gf the gigaworks set.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like an excellent plan! i have heard those Gigaworks before and for their size WOW, is about all i can say. But if you have any questions when you get all settled in be sure to PM me! I love talking audio!
 
I read some review on this sub and WOW sounds like a great buy when you get it will you please give me your opinion?
 
Back
Top