Need help identifying the problem, PSU or mobo about to die?

Nebell

2[H]4U
Recently my PC sometimes refuses not power up.

If I turn the power button on the PSU off and then later on, the motherboard would light up, but pressing the power on button does nothing.
Sometimes it fires up but then dies almost immediately. It might take like 10 tries or so and even pressing the reset BIOS button to make it work. And that doesn't always help, the question is if it even helps.
This started happening recently, about a couple of weeks ago.

The motherboard is Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 and the PSU is Seasonic Platinum 1200W.

Any ideas? :)

Maybe a flaky switch or some kinda short concerning the wiring to the switch?

Take the MB and PSU out of the case and see if it starts up normally by shorting the pins.

Maybe a flaky switch or some kinda short concerning the wiring to the switch?

Take the MB and PSU out of the case and see if it starts up normally by shorting the pins.

It's the same problem regardless if I press the start button on the motherboard or the chassis button.
Taking out the motherboard and PSU is not gonna happen, it's a hardline setup and I don't want to disassemble everything :LOL:

But next time this problem happens, I will definitely try shorting out the pins. Although I think this problem runs deeper than that.

Go buy a new power supply and plug it in and see if problem goes away. If it doesn't then return the power supply and buy a new motherboard or RMA the old one if under warranty.

That doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me. They generally fail as load increases when they start going , and that PSU you have is literally top notch.

I would still test this with another PSU before I changed the mobo, but still , I doubt it.

i have an asus p6t something motherboard, (its old) and it sometimes acts like that if the power goes out. If i hold my power button thats on the case down it will turn on for a second, then turn off, then back on a few times before sometimes starting up correctly. Usually the best way ive found to get it to power up the first time is clearing the cmos with the jumper. Works first time every time if i do that.

If i shut it down correctly it starts right up though, I only have problems when its on and power is lost, so maybe your problem is different.

Back