Need help, [H]ers! (GA-8IK1100 ,Rev 2.0)

oymd

Weaksauce
Aloha to all!!!

After my little mishapps with my current rig...I decided to upgrade, FINALLY!!

I bought this canterwood board... Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Rev 2.0)

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8IK1100%20(Rev%202.0).htm

hope its a good one...but there are two things about it that i would need some help in..

1- If you navigate to the site and enlarge the MB's pic...you will notice there is a POWER connector on the MB just beside the AGP Pro slot. In the manual it is called "AGP +12Volt Power connector"

What is this connector exactly??? Can i plug my Radeon 9800Pro into it directly instead of a molex one from the power supply?

2- The MB has onboard Audio: Realtek ALC658 CODEC
I do not intend to buy a new Sound card, and was planning on using my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card from my older rig.
Question is....which is better...the current onboard "Realtek ALC658 CODEC" audio chip, or the older live! 5.1 card??
and will the onboard audio go well with my 5.1 speakers....

The reason that I cant try for myself all these things is i'm waiting for my new PSU and DDR400 ram to arrive....but its good to know this stuff ahead!!

Thanks

dont worry about the onboard power connector its not for you, and the SBLive may be better than your onboard. Onboard sound has been improving.

i personally have this board, here is what i ran into along the way... well first off when i first put my crap together got it working...(after Three installs of xp pro) i decided to see what was going on with my hard ware, so of course i did the basic testing... burn in's, mem testing, and system benchmarking, everything passed with flying colors except had a few errors with the mem.... naturally, well i want to start gamming right? right... well install my BF1942 and i am ready to go to town, start a load up and then Bam shuts down, 2 more times i try then i figured my mem wasn't getting enough juice, ran memtest 98 again, and to my benifit it finally passes, Well load it up again, works for about a week, and it starts doing the same thing again, i figured it was a bad install of windows so i reformat and try again, set up bios settings again and go to town, same problem, thought of it might be a hardware problem check the IDE cables check powersupply changed the supply and so on, Welll all that was fine, and was having the same problems so what else is left... drivers... you won't believe this, but the on board audio was shutting down my computer for no apparent reason at all, easliy fixed with a sound blaster Live and everything has been running perfectly from here forth, so my advice to you is to get a new sound card or if there are new drivers out there let me know then install them, other than that, i have a p4 3.0 @3.5 no problems, zalman cooling mushkin lvl 2 mem (gig total pc3500) and so on, the lil power thing on the board is for your vid card and you can plug it in and it works better than running wires all through your comp to make the vid card work when alls you need is that lil plug right next to it, good luck on your new toy

Back