Need help ghosting Raid Stripe setup to single drive.

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 17, 2000
Messages
1,875
I really need some help with a Raid Issue I'm having on a Dell XPS system. My boss gave me his Dell XPS system to upgrade however I never relized it came with a raid stripe setup. (2x160gb drives.) I need to Ghost the raid stripe drives to a single IDE 500gb drive. Thankfully Norton ghost see's the raid stripe drives as the single 300gb and I've managed to ghost the drive over to the 500gb twice but with no luck booting. After the ghost finishes, I restart the machine and boot off the 500gb but I get the error "read disk error has occured, ctrl-alt,del to reboot." I've set the drive to active and copied the mrb aswell.
Just a note, because the Dell already has 2 IDE cd drives I had to install a IDE controllor card which I have the 500gb drive on. After ghosting the raid stripe to the 500gb, I've tried booting the 500 right from the board as well as from the controller card but with the same error. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
 
I tried it but no luck. When I reboot I get the error "disk read error".

I'm really loving this raid stripe setup... :mad: all I want to do is copy it to a single 500gb drive. Both norton ghost and that other program both see the 2 drives as one in windows and the ghost completes fine but errors when I try and boot off the new drive.
Any more ideas? :(
 
I have to ask. Are you sure your boot order is correct? After copying can you boot off the RAID stripe and look at the contents of the 500GB drive to see if they're the same?
 
I havn't looked yet no... I just assumed after ghosting the drives would be the same. I've tried Norton ghost and Runtime software's ghost program. I've tried ghosting copying the MBR, setting the drive active, I've tried without those options... I never compared the files but the size matched up ok.
 
also will I loose the data if I just shut down, unplug the raid drives and boot up off the IDE single drive?
 
also will I loose the data if I just shut down, unplug the raid drives and boot up off the IDE single drive?
You shouldn't, but you never know with all the various controllers out there what may happen and make sure you remember which port each drive was plugged into. I'm not sure if your controller will have you rebuild the array once you put them back on and that's where the potential loss of recognizing the previous array is.
 
Back
Top