Need Help getting into this Harddrive (good story)

DrTacoElf

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok I had an amd system running windows XP. All my data, music, etc was under the useraccount Gary which had administrator rights but wasn't the only admin account (default admin was also there). Now I have sold this computer but still have the drive. All my files were "made private" under the Gary Account and now I can not recover my data. I have tried getting this drive to boot in many a machine but it will not. I can see it when I make it a secondary drive however I can't get my files

D:\Documents and Settings\Gary is where the files are (D since its a secondary drive now - it WAS a primary but i cant login like that as i've said)

Here is the message I get

D:\Documents and Settings\Gary is not accessible

Access is denied.

Now I know my password is there any way I can get to a point where I input this (maybe in dos or with a special application/windows trick?

Thanks~

Ghost the drive to another machine as an image file and use Ghost Explorer to open the image and extract any files you need. I recover data from a laptop this way at least once a week.

I hear other people suggest "taking ownership", but Ghosting has always been faster for me.

Right-click on Gary > Properties
Click on the Security tab and click on Advanced
Click on the Owner tab

Select your account under "Change owner to:", and check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click Ok.

Done.

Make sure you disable Simple File Sharing first by opening explorer and going to Tools > Folder Options > View > scroll to the bottom and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

djnes said:
Ghost the drive to another machine as an image file and use Ghost Explorer to open the image and extract any files you need. I recover data from a laptop this way at least once a week.

I hear other people suggest "taking ownership", but Ghosting has always been faster for me.

That works but what if he's got like 20GB (or more) of data there. That would take ghost FOREVER. Granted it will work, but if he's already got it plugged into another box and all he has to do is right click (basically) and take ownership, wouldn't that be faster?

I do like your idea though, I never thought of doing it that way, you once posted something like "Another perfect use for Ghost" in a thread just like this and I never figured out how you meant it, but this time you said how. Good thinking.

Thanks for the info guys Sn1 i tried that method and its not giving me the options. I'm installing norton ghost at the moment and will try the above mentioned method, thanks :)

Grimmda said:
That works but what if he's got like 20GB (or more) of data there. That would take ghost FOREVER. Granted it will work, but if he's already got it plugged into another box and all he has to do is right click (basically) and take ownership, wouldn't that be faster?

I do like your idea though, I never thought of doing it that way, you once posted something like "Another perfect use for Ghost" in a thread just like this and I never figured out how you meant it, but this time you said how. Good thinking.
Ghosting large amounts of data to my server never takes too long, unless the drive is going bad, and I have to let Ghost do some raw-writing, etc. But your right, in this case, taking ownership would probably be much faster.

djnes said:
Ghosting large amounts of data to my server never takes too long, unless the drive is going bad, and I have to let Ghost do some raw-writing, etc. But your right, in this case, taking ownership would probably be much faster.

How do i take ownership because when i right click i have essentially no options.

right%20click.JPG

DrTacoElf said:
How do i take ownership because when i right click i have essentially no options.

You need to turn off Simple File Sharing.

S1nF1xx said:
Make sure you disable Simple File Sharing first by opening explorer and going to Tools > Folder Options > View > scroll to the bottom and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

I also forgot to tell you once you're the owner, you will have to go back to the security tab and give your account Full Control rights to the folder.

djnes said:

Will this also work on an EXT3 formatted drive? I have a linux box that died and need to get data off a drive to reformat it and use as an external drive.

Just wanted to say BOOYAHKASHA!

Hehe

I was having the same issue with a laptop that died completely on us (although there's no apparent cause... to the naked eye the thing seems fine just fine).

I purchased a USB 2.0 enclosure for a 2.5" drive and had been having some difficulty getting this to work (trying to dig up the method in my mind behind it) and I thought I might hit up [H] to post my ways of doing things and have people point out the obvious to me (if I was missing a step) - lo and behold - I have confirmed why I love you guys so much.

Thanks guys!

Oh and... OT but... anyone interested in a Compaq laptop that's disassembled but probably still working if you could just figure out what's wrong with it? It doesn't power up - but other than that - there's nothing broken on it and as I said before... visually... there's nothing wrong with the guts - nothing burnt, snapped off, missing, etc.

PEACE

Back