• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help getting audio from PC to TV

stesergio

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2011
Messages
5
I could really use some help here. I just bought a VIZIO wifi HDTV and I am trying to connect it to my PC for gaming. I have a DVI to HDMI cable from my video card to the TV and I am getting a nice picture but no audio.

In the control panel playback devices I see Digital Audio (HDMI) as a choice but it says "not plugged in." Should I be able to get audio from the video card with the DVI-HDMI cable?

I have tried a seperate audio connection using an audio cable from the sound card to the TV's PC audio input but I still get no sound. I also tried connecting it from the headphone jack to the TV but no sound there either.

I know the sound works because I can plug in the PC speakers or headphone and get sound but I'm trying to get the sound to play through the TV speakers.

I would really appreciate your help!


Dell XPS 420 (Vista)
ATI Radeon 2600 HD
 
I do not think you can get audio through a dvi-hdmi cable.
Have you tried the separate audio cable to the tv and changing the settings on your XPS to use the headphone jack and not the HDMI?
Does your tv accept an audio signal on the same input as the video signal?
My tv has a vga connector for the pc connection and the audio stream has to be input on a 3.5mm cable, other means of delivering an audio signal are for other inputs.
 
My best guess, you may need to use the DVI-to-HDMI dongle included with the card if it's not passing the audio signal correctly over your cable or your DVI-to-HDMI cable has a problem.

I have no problem getting audio from a Monoprice.com DVI-to-HDMI cable with my GTX 260 using a pass-through cable (200-series didn't have built-in sound, so you used a cable form videocard to soundcard) connected to my Xonar's internal SPDIF connection in Windows 7, so it works with some.
 
I do not think you can get audio through a dvi-hdmi cable.
Have you tried the separate audio cable to the tv and changing the settings on your XPS to use the headphone jack and not the HDMI?
Does your tv accept an audio signal on the same input as the video signal?
My tv has a vga connector for the pc connection and the audio stream has to be input on a 3.5mm cable, other means of delivering an audio signal are for other inputs.

The TV does have a VGA PC input which also has a PC audio input but I am not using that because I thought using DVI to HDMI input would be better quality than DVI to VGA.

I guess I could have looked for a DVI to VGA cable and also used a seperate audio cable from the sound card to the PC audio input. That way the sound and video are both going to the same input but I thought going DVI t o HDMI would be better quality? Is there no way to get sound from the PC to the TV if I am using DVI to HDMI?
 
My best guess, you may need to use the DVI-to-HDMI dongle included with the card if it's not passing the audio signal correctly over your cable or your DVI-to-HDMI cable has a problem.

I have no problem getting audio from a Monoprice.com DVI-to-HDMI cable with my GTX 260 using a pass-through cable (200-series didn't have built-in sound, so you used a cable form videocard to soundcard) connected to my Xonar's internal SPDIF connection in Windows 7, so it works with some.

I don't think my card included a dongle that I know of. What do you mean by pass through cable from sound card to video card? Sorry, I just don't know what that is.
 
you need to use an amd (ati) dvi to hdmi adapter. i ran into this same problem with my hd4870. i was using a dvi-hdmi adapter that was from an nvidia card. once i changed to the amd (ati) adapter it worked fine.

i also got the "not plugged in" in the control panel.
 
I don't think my card included a dongle that I know of. What do you mean by pass through cable from sound card to video card? Sorry, I just don't know what that is.

some later nvidia and ati cards have this SPDIF pin that allows you to stream the audio even through the DVI-HDMI adapter. unfortunately your HD2600 does not seems to support this feature.
 
Doesn't that video card have HDMI out? Even my cheapy HP laptop with ATI Mobility graphics has HDMI out and I get video and audio on my HDTV fine with it. In fact it is my preferred method for using as a media box because it does have HDMI out.
 
you need to use an amd (ati) dvi to hdmi adapter. i ran into this same problem with my hd4870. i was using a dvi-hdmi adapter that was from an nvidia card. once i changed to the amd (ati) adapter it worked fine.

i also got the "not plugged in" in the control panel.

So instead of the DVI to HDMI cable, I need something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-HHDMI4067...A9SA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304731479&sr=8-2


Then I will get both audio and video from the video card without using the sound card at all?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sure you have already checked back of your TV, but thank to you :) I just found out today there is 3.5mm jack input for DVI/RGB audio on my LG 32LD450 :eek: :eek: :eek: Still my little JBL 2.1 creatures II beat crap out of TV speakers (not too bad), but now I have an option....
 

A big thank you to everyone here - thanks to all your excellent info I now have everything working. It turns out my ATI card did come with that DVI to HDMI adapter. I dug through my drawer of parts and cables and found out I had it all along!

I wish I had known that a DVI to HDMI cable does not do the same thing as a DVI to HDMI adapter but thats the fun of being a PC owner, always learn something new!
 
I wish I had known that a DVI to HDMI cable does not do the same thing as a DVI to HDMI adapter but thats the fun of being a PC owner, always learn something new!
So sound works with an HDMI cable and the ATI adapter/dongle?

I always assumed that audio and video were sent over different data pins, but apparently it's not. :eek: The data pins are adjusted dynamically by the encoder which interlaces the audio and video data. DVI-to-HDMI is electrically compatible, so there should be no difference between a pre-built adapter cable and the adapter dongle straight from ATI.

I guess I could speculate that ATI did something non-standard with the DVI implementation that required using a specific hardware adapter to get a proper HDMI signal out. The 2000-series was one of the first that supported the audio portion of DVI-to-HDMI.

So if it works, awesome. If it doesn't, I'm not as smart as I thought I was.:eek:
What do you mean by pass through cable from sound card to video card? Sorry, I just don't know what that is.
This won't be any help to you, but here is how older Nvidia cards injected audio into the video stream: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...nector-Available-on-GeForce-Video-Cards/600/2 It was just an example to show that straight DVI-to-HDMI does work on at least some hardware.
 
Back
Top