• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Help: Front Panel drive bay dimensions/cutout

Fighter2a

n00b
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
49
I'm building my own front panel and was wondering if anyone knows of a .pdf file or something that would have something I could trace to get the exact height and width. I'm just cutting out a slot big enough to fit two cd-rom drives. My first attempt was OK at best. Part of the reason was that I had to cut it out with a jigsaw and the corners were hard the other reason was I didn't have a good cutout drawing. Any help would be appreciated.
 
I can't help with the dimensions - try sneaking into your local big-box computer store with a measuring tape.

To get clean corners, drill holes with a suitable radius. The outside of the hole should line up with the edges of the rectangle. Then use the saw to cut straight lines between the holes. If you want a sharper corner, once the opening is cut out, you can use a file or some such to square the corner.
 
Thanks for the reply Michael. Thats exactly what I tried to do last time with the corners, it didn't work out so well. I image if I had a drill press it would work out a lot better.
 
This time I rigged up a router with a flat edge attachment and went along the lines of the rectangle plunging into the plastic and using the attachment to get a straight line. It worked WAAAAAAY better then the first attempt with the Jigsaw. I'll be posting pics of that along with other steps when I finish and make a project log.
 
The dimensions of a single "5 1/4 in" drive are 42mm (H) by 145-148mm (W), depending on manufacturer. So two together will be 84mm(H) x 145-148mm(W).
 
This time I rigged up a router with a flat edge attachment and went along the lines of the rectangle plunging into the plastic and using the attachment to get a straight line. It worked WAAAAAAY better then the first attempt with the Jigsaw. I'll be posting pics of that along with other steps when I finish and make a project log.

The only problem with a router is trying to reduce the speed for plastic. However, I guess you worked around that. For others, you can get a router attachment for a Dremel that might be cheaper and would be somewhat more appropriate for light-duty plastic or aluminum cutting.

BTW - I have a drill press but got along fine with a right angle drill guide for a long time. These are available at good woodworking tool suppliers like Lee Valley or (in the US) Rocksomethingorother. Also, using brad-point drill bits beats conventional drill bits for making clean holes in plastic (or almost any soft material - don't know if they'll handle aluminum).
 
Back
Top