Need help formating this hdd please.

Snakekilla

Limp Gawd
What is the max number of hdd drives I can have on windows 7 ultimate 64bit?

And what is the difference of Logical drives and Primary drives?

I have 3 active primary drives and I tried to put my new drive as a primary active drive, but it says I need to make one of my other active drives inactive in order to make my new drive active primary drive... wtf? I dont get it... please help.. I tried putting on a logical drive and I still don't see the drive in "my computer"... how can I get it to show up on my computer?

I also tried the traditional way in formatting the drive via "manage" and under "Disk Management" but it wasn't giving the "format" option, so I'm using other software to format it which is also not giving me the right options... the 3rd party software I'm trying to use is "EASEUS Partition Master 6.0.1 Professional Edition Demo"...

These are the options I get when I right click the disk I want to format via "Disk Management"

"New Simple Volume"
"New Spanned Volume"
"New Stripped Volume"
"New Mirrored Volume"

"Properties"

I'm currently trying to format a new hdd I've never really used, which is Samsung hdd's, I normally use Western Digital.

- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
- URL with specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

What is the max number of hdd drives I can have on windows 7 ultimate 64bit?

26?

Actually when I think of it you do not need to assign a letter to each drive.

With "drive" you mean partitions, right? Or what do you mean with 'primary active drive' ? I don't think you meant you had 4 system disks to boot from. Hence my confusion. :p

Well you can only have 4 active partitions (bootable). If you want more partitions, you have to create an extended partition, which i think does not allow booting, but not really sure about that.

The spanned/striped/mirrored volume is software RAID functionality. A simple volume is likely what you want; a normal disk with partitions.

This sounds like you are messing with the builtin software raid. Like sub.mesa I am confused with your questions.

Right click on disk 2 and click format. If it does something weird post the pic again..

New simple volume. I guess the reason for this is your first drive has 9MB unallocated space so it thinks you want to raid that with the new disk..

THANK YOU! I never had this issue before on my other drives for some reason this one is different. It's gotta be Samsung...

I doubt that it has any thing at all to do with the drive itself. I am not sure why it would default to thinking you want to raid the other disk however. I know if you clicked on the 9MB unused space then had that selected and then try to format the new disk it should ask if you want to make a raid array but it does not look like that is this case.

Back