Need help for display choice

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
I'm looking for a good priced monitor......lets see if i can give a good idea of what i'm looking for:

Need:
-DVI for sure
-DP would be great, and a necessity if the next gen ATI doesn't do 3 monitors w/o it(and i assume it will require DP)
-HDMI would be a plus
-24"
-1920x1200 preferred but 1920x1080 is fine for me

Panel wise, i think my Samsung SyncMaster 2494 is just fine for all viewing angles i will experience and the colors are just fine. IIRC its a TN panel, so i am not interested in a IPS because of cost as well as the fact that my eye isnt as fine tuned as others.

Ideally I would like to have smaller bezels, but again i could live with the width that is on my 2494 if its all that fits the inputs i need...

So far from all the looking i've done i found basically the Dell U2410, which is pretty dam pricey IMO.....especially since i'm looking at getting three of them, the U2410 would have to be one at a time ;)

Cant seem to find any TN panels, or cheaper IPS panels, that have a DP and DVI....

Any help would be much appreciated, i dont plan on buying now, but by the end of the year...waiting is ok if there is something coming out(dont know how monitors are, never been big in them)

The Eizo EV2333 has a DisplayPort. It's S-PVA. Costs a bit more than most TN, but has vastly superior image quality. Keep in mind though, it has stereoscopic gamma shifting crap going on, but you may not care..... Supports 1:1 mode.

The NEC EA231WMi has a DP as well, it's an IPS and costs less than the EV2333. Not as good quality as the Eizo and doesn't support 1:1 mode (according to the PRAD review), but you won't get the gamma shifting problem... However, instead you'll get the usual "IPS glow" crap, which exists on all IPS panels in varying degrees of severity.

Anyway, both are much better than your current TN (yes, it is a TN).

Keep in mind that a 24" display of 1920x will have much higher dot pitch than a 23" of 1920x.

Dell u2311h/u2211h (IPS, $220-340 depending on sale) and the Dell P-series (TN, <$300 depending on sale) have dp and dvi. I don't think you can get any cheaper then these two options.

1920x1200 carries a large price premium at the moment, which is one of the contributing factors why the u2410 is so much more expensive and not necessarily better (same with the HP zr24w).

There are active DP single link dvi adapters now for ~$30 (good up to 1920x1200@60hz), so that might be something to consider if you want to open more options by dropping the DP requirement.

hmm, i may end up lookign for one without it, main reason is not only the new card sfrom AMD/ATI, but my tablets docking station also has DP with regular VGA.

@RandomDude, i understood hart of what you said, to me i dont need an IPS(well i say that now.....i would bet comparing an IPS beside my current monitor would make me change my mind :D)......I actually looked and found that NEC,cant remember why i left it out.

@limited access- I was thinking that was a reason for the 2410 price....it would be nice to have 1920x1200 for a monitor, but again a want not a need....price is more of a need i guess if that makes sense...

Takign DP out of the equation, what are some good choices ? All i can ever really find are newegg like reviews, and we all know what those are like...

Back