Need Help first mod project

The1AQ

n00b
So one of my best friends wants a new case for her PC and i want to make him one that is special just for her, so she likes the colors black and blue and here are some pictures of the case

10660228_10203829386073899_2182661820832328822_n.jpg

if you have any ideas and how to do them tell me plzz

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by your story... him or her? Guess it doesn't matter.

What exactly are you looking for advice doing? Easy/difficult mods? Functional/aesthetic? Once we have some better info on what you're looking for we'll be able to help you better.

Nice of you to do this for a friend, btw.

sorry about that is her lol...
well i want it to be a aesthetic mob, i want to add a transparent Plexiglas that shows the motherboard because its going to have a all in one liquid coiling, and i wanted to painted blue and black, and add her name on it in a cool but elegant way

yes, i took everything out she had a Pentium processor, i let her use my laptop while the case is being done,
she was getting 5 fps while trying to play league on low settings

Wait wait. You're going to put an all in one H20 cooler in that case? Where? Why reuse the case, is budget super tight? Maybe she doesn't like the idea of swapping it out? If you are wanting to do that case as a project that's one thing but if you are trying to get some points with her id just buy her an ATX tower to do the build in.

And the performance in games is unlikely to change purely from modding the case... Maybe you were planning to upgrade the system as well?

Not sure what your question is. Jigsaw for cuts. Use a drill to knock out a part of the panel so you can cut from the Inside rather than starting at an edge. ..

For paint... Sand previous paint with 320g wet dry paper and spray. Use a rust paint such as tremclad of rustoleum and you'll have an awesome surface. Use high build primer if you have .ajor scuffs that can't be sanded out. Use etching primer if painting to bare metal.

Make sure you have a 120mm fan hole, and pick up a 6-32 tap and tap wrench if you need to drill out any rivets, this will allow you to make new screw holes to screw regular case screws into.

yes i am trying to put a all in one H2O cooler, idk yet, why because that case is the last ting that her fater gave her before passing away, no i am spending 1.5k on pices for the pc, i was ofering to get her a new case but she whants that one to be mod, i dont need points i just whant to help keep the memory of her father alive.
i know that the mod will not imprube the performese that is why i am trying to build a new one inside her father case :D

Cool, that helps. So you're looking to buy some new stuff to put into an old case, and renovate the old case. I like it.

Can you post some pictures of the inside of the case? It will help us figure out where the best place to put things would be.

Some obstacles you might want to consider:
Is the case an ATX case? I don't know about IBM specifically, but I know prefabricated units sometimes come with non-standard size parts. My old Dell was a pain because they had a special motherboard size with different PCI slot locations, mounting screw locations, etc. If that's the case, getting the new stuff to fit in there is going to be a challenge for someone who's not familiar with modding.

Does the case have full size expansion slots for a graphics card?

Do you know if it will take a regular sized power supply? I've also seen prefab cases with non-standard PSU sizes, so again you may need to do some modding to get a new one in there.

Assuming the parts fit, getting the AIO water cooler may be difficult. I can almost guarantee a case that old will not accept 120mm fans without modding. However, if they physically fit where the old smaller fans were, it's an easy mod. If they don't physically fit, you may need to get creative by finding some empty space all the way through and cutting holes in the top and bottom of the case so it draws air in from the bottom and blows out the top. You'd have to get some taller feet for proper airflow then. I think that would be pretty cool if you could pull it off actually. But, pics of the interior of the case would help determine if that's even possible.

Arcygenical hit on painting. You might also consider a dremel/rotary tool for cuts.

As for the window, I think you'll find that things get cramped pretty quickly in this case, so you may want to wait until you've got the parts fitted and hooked up before planning your cuts and making them. It may be better as a totally sealed case with some cool accent lights on the outside instead of a window showing a mess on the inside.

Is this the case? http://www.teksale.com/computers/refurbcomputers/listings/ibm-netvista-m41-p4-1.7-256-40.htm#specs

If that's it, the mobo listed is a Intel D845HV, which is a mini-ATX board. That's a good thing :)

Graphics card listed is a "nvidia Riva TNT2 Vanta 16 MB AGP Video" - that looks to be a card that could have a short expansion slot. You'll want to confirm if it's full height or not. Pics would help here.
10687061_10203835758153197_3332505169809844864_n.jpg
10616225_10203835757513181_1273738440495795647_n.jpg

there are the inside picks and there is like a metal thing that holds the cd drive

Here's what I would recommend:

p40o8IT.jpg

You'll want to make sure the case can fit full length expansion slot cards for your GPU (though it looks like it does), and make sure it fits a standard size PSU.

For the AIO cooler, find yourself a cheap 120mm fan and make sure it fits along the front or along the floor between the front and the motherboard. It might be a tight fit. Also make sure you measure the thickness of the unit with one or two fans (however many you want to use) to make sure that dimension fits too. If you mount it blowing in from the front, you need to make two holes - one in the front of the case and another in the front trim piece. That trim piece will be difficult to cut and still have it look good without the proper tools. If you run it blowing vertically from the bottom of the case, you'll still need to make two holes, but in the floor of the case and in the top of the case, which I'm assuming are both steel - those should be easier to work with. Plus, you'll be able to mount it with all four screws if it's blowing vertically. If you mount it in the front, you'll likely be missing the upper left screw hole since there's no material there right now due to the floppy drive bay. Two will still hold it in just fine, so it's a matter of preference or whatever fits best.

For the window, it actually could look really good if you cut out just above the motherboard. It won't be a centered window, but the view would be good.

After you work that stuff out, then you can paint the inside and outside, but I'd take it one step at a time.

everything should fit well but the thing i sthat i cant imagen any good painting desing for the outside of the case because i whant to cut 4 holes for fans and one window for the motherbord, how can i make it look cool

That's kind of personal preference really. I'd start by painting the whole thing black inside and out, then go from there. Does she like designs? Simple? Minimalistic? Patterns? You can go a long ways with some painters tape and accent colors.

I'd start by doing a google search for old case mods or old case paint or something like that. Or maybe go back to the beginning of this worklog's forum to see what you can find people used to do with old cases. Just get some ideas and make something up and go for it. Can't really help you there much more than that.

Back