Need Help: Firefox URL doesn't go to actual URL

tnt3k

2[H]4U
My girlfriend is having problems with her firefox. She recently told me it crashed multiple times. Also just now she said that firefox doesn't go to the actual pages she clicks on. For example, she clicks on the groups url for yahoo and it takes her to monster.com. She scanned with spybot and nothing came up. Is this a trojan? or is anyone else having this problem? thanks!

apparently this applies to safari on pc too

Last edited:
Something may have hijacked the hosts file. Is she running any AV or malware "protection" stuff on that machine, anything at all? If not, get something on there at the bare minimum. www.free-av.com is Avira and very highly recommended nowadays.

As for a malware scan, I still recommend Housecall from TrendMicro at http://housecall.trendmicro.com - it's fairly thorough and can take a while.

hmm i scanned with spybot fully updated. about two weeks ago i manually removed a trojan called virtumonde. could that be affecting it?

Always a possibility, and no offense, but I wouldn't recommend Spybot to anyone even if it was the perfect solution to the problem at hand... just my opinion. ;)

Back