• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help finding the right video card

rage22

n00b
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
11
Alright guys, my limited knowledge has forced me to seek out some advice and any I could get would be most appreciated.

I took a scrap computer from my office (Dell Optiplex GX270) and want to get a new monitor to pair with it, either a 1920x1200 or a 1920x1080. But I dug up info on the video card already installed (nvidia p118 8x AGP 64MB) and it won't support those resolutions.

So my question is whether there is a video card out there that will work with the system that will also support one (or both) of those resolutions and which you recommend on the cheap.

I'm planning my first build for sometime this summer so don't want to go throwing down too much $ for this system. But I did want to get a nice display that I will use with the new build instead of getting a crap LCD now and a new one in a couple months.

:confused:
 
If you could list any other specs for that Dell, it would help us find the best suited card for your needs. Since you're on a budget we need those specs so we don't prescribe anything overkill.

[edit] Ok looking here, http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/optix/gx270_spec.pdf , does that computer even have an 8xAGP slot or not? I can't tell. And it looks to be a small form factor case. Ouch. Dunno I think yer stuck with you got but I could be wrong. [/edit]
 
Keyword in there is AGP. You're talking at least 3 generations old to get to an AGP card. I think the most powerful AGP card is a 3850 or possibly a X1950. I think those would do it, however you're going to spend over 100$ for a 3850 new which is going to be a fraction of what a PCI-E card could do in the 100$ price range.

An option you might consider is getting the display you want, but simply sending a lower resolution to it for the time being and dealing with the black bars around it. That can do 1600x1200 which will mean a small black band on the left and right of a standard 24" moinitor. Which would be much better than spending 100$ on something you wouldn't really be able to game on even if you upgraded the card.
 
Also with the Dell towers, those cards mentioned above might not fit/work in the case
 
First question is does it require small form factor cards, or full height cards?

If it supports small form factor, you are stuck with a more expensive card like :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139044

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125249

If you can take a full height, I would reconmend,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131149

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125249

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129088

I would probably go with the cheapest you can reall.

Or as has been mentioned, if you can tolerate a black bar at the edges of your screen, I would do that and just save the cash until you build your new system
 
Thanks for the input guys. Mine is actually the mini-tower even thought the card in it is a low-profile. But as chongl said, not much room in the case.
 
Back
Top