Need help finding source of video stream

Flapjack

2[H]4U
I set up Jana server on a PC on my network to restrict where my kids can and cannot go online. My son's favorite site is Star Wars. He has no problems watching the short video clips, but can't see the full-length movies. If I open it in my browser (where there is no proxy server in the settings), the full-length movies play fine (so I'm sure it's Jana blocking it).

I've been all up and down this site trying to figure it out.
http://all-streaming-media.com/faq/recording-media-stream/faq-get-media-stream-URL.htm

The closest I could get was WMRecorder (which tries to download the movies... not very helpful), but it said "DRM protected. I could care less about downloading the movie, I just want to know what URL it's coming from so I can open it up in Jana.

Here's the site I'm working with now. As I said, it's the full-length episodes like this that get blocked. The short clips play fine, so I'm assuming the larger videos are coming from somewhere else.
http://starwars.com/video/view/000899.html

Can anyone help?

That's what I was hoping for, but I can't find any granular options for setting what the log displays.

Basically, all I've been able to log is server start/stop entries and such.

I'll look into it more tonight...

Ok, still no progress on this. I can't find anywhere that Jana logs blocked sites. That's a little amazing, since it is a proxy server. You'd think an administrator would like to know where people are attempting to go.

That being said, there has got to be a way to see where these videos are coming from. It's pretty frustrating to say my son can only watch the video clips, but can't watch the full episodes...

Are you using Jana just to share the connection or just for additional features? Does Jana have a setting to let you bypass a url from the proxy?

Sweet! I'm gonna try it now.

**EDIT**
Bummer. That didn't work either. I can't believe how difficult it is to figure this out.

**EDIT #2**
I found it in the Jana logs finally. There is nothing specific that shows blocked/allowed, so I just flushed the logs and went specifically to that site. One line was had lucasarts.com in it. I added that as an exception and sure enough, the video works!

Thanks again for all the help. I can't wait to tell me son he can watch all the episodes starting tomorrow.

Last edited:
I thought I posted in this thread before, but I guess not... The "Open blockable items" function in AdBlock Plus is also pretty handy for seeing some of the not-so-obvious requests a page makes. It may not be the best tool for finding a specific URL like this (since that's really not what it's intended to do), but it can let you see URLs that you might not otherwise.

I thought I posted in this thread before, but I guess not... The "Open blockable items" function in AdBlock Plus is also pretty handy for seeing some of the not-so-obvious requests a page makes. It may not be the best tool for finding a specific URL like this (since that's really not what it's intended to do), but it can let you see URLs that you might not otherwise.
Good point. I hadn't even thought of that.

Back