Need help finding replacement mobo for laptop

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5033#ov

This was my work laptop but it just quit working two weeks ago. Just won't turn on now, when you press power the lights that would come on during boot come on for a second then turn off and it repeats this loop for ever. I'm pretty sure the motherboard died (after talking with gigabyte support they agreed)

My work doesn't want to fix it and gave me a slightly slower MSI one instead (still an i7 but only a Nividia 765m instead of the 860m). IT guy said since the company doesn't want to fix it I can have it for free.

Problem is I can't seem to figure out what the mobo is, so I'm hoping you guys can ;)

It could be something as simple as a stick of RAM that has gone bad.

As for the motherboard, I am almost 100% sure that it will only be available from Gigabyte.

Why is your work buying gaming laptops instead of laptops made for longer term use.. like Dell Latitude or Precision, or from Lenovo?

I would never consider Gigabyte, MSI, or ASUS laptops as meant for work.. mainly because the level of support is not anywhere near what you can get from Dell or Lenovo.

It could be something as simple as a stick of RAM that has gone bad.

As for the motherboard, I am almost 100% sure that it will only be available from Gigabyte.

Why is your work buying gaming laptops instead of laptops made for longer term use.. like Dell Latitude or Precision, or from Lenovo?

I would never consider Gigabyte, MSI, or ASUS laptops as meant for work.. mainly because the level of support is not anywhere near what you can get from Dell or Lenovo.
Because me and my boss travel a lot and like to game so he gets us something that can do work and keep us entertained while in a hotel room :p

If I can't find the part then eventually I'll send it in for repair but hoping I can do it. I'm going to try and find time to tear down the laptop and get the part numbers. I'll also try swapping the ram

Because me and my boss travel a lot and like to game so he gets us something that can do work and keep us entertained while in a hotel room :p

If I can't find the part then eventually I'll send it in for repair but hoping I can do it. I'm going to try and find time to tear down the laptop and get the part numbers. I'll also try swapping the ram

Ah, gotcha.

I really doubt the motherboard is going to be available from anywhere but Gigabyte. It's not like they are going to buy laptop motherboards from another company to put into their laptops, especially since they make motherboards.

Ah, gotcha.

I really doubt the motherboard is going to be available from anywhere but Gigabyte. It's not like they are going to buy laptop motherboards from another company to put into their laptops, especially since they make motherboards.
ya, sometimes you can find them direct from china kind of things. Had to buy like that before for an old device and it worked out lol

that's a cool boss! I had a boss once that got a Pontiac GTP comp-g for a company car and I ripped around in it all the time. back ot...
I used to refurb laptops and your best bet to get the correct board is to tear down the laptop and get the exact p/n and rev# of the mobo. then you should be able to source one. i'd find them all over the place from many different sources. its actually a lot easier than you think with the right numbers.
you have tried another psu and all the other TSing basics right?

that's a cool boss! I had a boss once that got a Pontiac GTP comp-g for a company car and I ripped around in it all the time. back ot...
I used to refurb laptops and your best bet to get the correct board is to tear down the laptop and get the exact p/n and rev# of the mobo. then you should be able to source one. i'd find them all over the place from many different sources. its actually a lot easier than you think with the right numbers.
you have tried another psu and all the other TSing basics right?
Power brick seems to be working, my volt meter is showing 19V (it's rated) and th battery charge light comes on like normal. I'm going to try swapping the ram and if that doesn't work I'll try and get the mobo numbers

Back