Need help finding good Deal on Wireless USB adapters

Hades12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
291
I have at least two and maybe soon a few more new folding machines, this is great but I am out of room on my Desk and my Switch is full, and they are loud. So I want to move them to wireless and put them in the basement. I have found a USB adapter at microcenter for $10 on sale but it is a $25 rebate and I hate waiting on rebates. So what deals have you found that will get me two or more for about $15 each?

Thanks for the help.
 
In order to get the real bargain you have to go rebate.
The last two I bought were the Hawkings from MEI, FAR. Took about two months for my money to return, but it did. But check carefully - usually only 1 rebate per household.

 
I have checked ebay but all the good priced ones want $10 is shipping So want even more.

I will keep watch though.
 
Is it difficult to run some CAT5 down to the basement? then just get a cheap switch and have at it?

Or you could browse our DC FSFT forum... sandmanx has a PCI wireless Dlink card that I just "bought" from him.... maybe he has another?


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
If your interior walls are hollow (i.e. not filled with sound-dampening insulation), it should be easy to run Cat5--I just did it with my house a couple months ago. Barring that, you can run it through your heating/A/C ducts. I did that for my parents a few years ago, and it's never had any problems.

 
Make sure to use plenum grade cable if you do that...don't want a fire dumping toxic fumes into your house :eek:

Also, you might be able to fishtape Cat 5 down walls, even insulated ones. If you can go down a stud, then whole through and put a keystone jack in on that same stud, it'll be a cinch. Done it before :cool:
 
DougLite said:
Make sure to use plenum grade cable if you do that...don't want a fire dumping toxic fumes into your house :eek:
Well, my parents, at the ripe old age of 68 and 65, have shown no unusual ill effects for the couple years they've had it in. (I say 'unusual' because my mom's had respiratory problems for decades)

 
Mohonri said:
Well, my parents, at the ripe old age of 68 and 65, have shown no unusual ill effects for the couple years they've had it in. (I say 'unusual' because my mom's had respiratory problems for decades)

Why to use plenum. "Plenum rated coating on wire burns at a much higher temperature and emits fewer fumes."

Another way to run wire is with a ball-chain and a magnet, collectively known as a "wet noodle". Works wonders if there's no insulation in the walls - mostly inner walls, if any. Otherwise not so good.

 
unhappy_mage said:
Why to use plenum. "Plenum rated coating on wire burns at a much higher temperature and emits fewer fumes."
I wonder what temperature the insulation on Cat5 burns at--I'm pretty sure it's higher than the air going through the ducts.


 
The problem isn't so much the cable being moderately heated by the A/C as much as the fact that if there's a fire there's a bunch of extra toxic-gas-producing plastics around. Check the cable that's installed - it should say on it whether it's plenum or not. If it's not, it's simple to replace it - tie them together and haul away.

Sorry for the threadjack, but this is important. Not only is plenum required by law in some areas (check with the Fire Marshal), in the event of a fire the toxic smoke would be a Bad Thing.

 
Ah, now I understand. I'm pretty sure it's not plenum--it got it for ~$60 shipped with a crimper and a whole bunch of connectors. I figure that if my house starts burning, there will be a whole lot of other non-plenum plastics burning and emitting nasty toxic fumes, so a little Cat5 won't make much of a difference.

 
Dropping a line into the basement is not really a problem, but the thing is if I am going to do that then I might as well just put my modem and router down there also and just run the line upstairs, Which means I have to add a phone jack for the modem, Add a wall jack for the CAT5 into the upstairs, move my desk so I can get to the wall to put in the wall plate and to run the wire.

All in all about a saturdays work doing everthing. I do plan to do it but I am a bit lazey :D


So it looks like Ebay is my best bet for right now.


Glad to have spured some debate though.

And thanks for the input.
 
Back
Top