Need help finding a keyboard

Like an idiot I spilled a drink on my keyboard last night and am now in need of a new one.

I'm looking for something in the lowish price range because I'm broke as fuck at the moment, ideally mechanical meant more for gaming. What kind of stuff should I be looking for? What kind of keys do I want? I don't mind the clicking but as I stream a decent amount I'd prefer them not to be too loud, not so much because it bothers me but I feel like it's more annoying to the viewers when you just hear a lot of loud clacking. If I have to give on that point for quality/price it's something I can deal with though.

Is the different between something like http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00IG3GSQ8 (the standard stealth version, fuck $15 for backlight) and http://www.amazon.com/Redragon-KUMARA-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B016MAK38U/ worth the difference in price?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hows about under $30 us bucks :D for a combo

CM STORM - COMBO MOUSE and KEYBOARD SET - this keybord i have been useing for years now it has been holding up very nicely with no issues or problems it comes in different colors i have the blue one but the Gama ray green one looks sick kinda wish i got that one
and the combo set is cheap you cant go wrong with this set you can turn the led lights on and off as well hers the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKXXAAQ?keywords=cm storm&qid=1450274523&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

heres an unboxing and reveiw video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOQum1ykaE

and heres a great mouse pad that i use too it has a aluminum Core and duel sided
the Corsair - CGMM600 - standerd version its very Slick and fast!!

$ 40 us bucks for pad

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Double-Sided-Aluminum-CH-9000084-WW/dp/B00N4OBA8K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450274755&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+mouse+pad

Hope this helps and good luck on your choice

Last edited:
Both of those boards are rather low quality and use lesser switches. At that budget I'd look into some of the Cooler Master ones like this or this.

Both of those boards are rather low quality and use lesser switches. At that budget I'd look into some of the Cooler Master ones like this or this.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion I probably want brown switches, and that I'm likely going to need to be in the $75-100 range. Unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.

The 2 you linked are on my current short list as well has the g710+ and the Black Widow Stealth. Any feedback among the 4?

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion I probably want brown switches, and that I'm likely going to need to be in the $75-100 range. Unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.

The 2 you linked are on my current short list as well has the g710+ and the Black Widow Stealth. Any feedback among the 4?

I'd stay away from Razer build quality (Blade 14 excluded) and the g710+ has really crappy stock keycaps and it has a non-standard bottom row so you can't easily replace them.

Looking at the 2 Coolermaster ones. I've never used a tenkeyless keyboard, do you really notice or miss the keypad at all? I feel like I only really use it when I'm doing heavy excel work, which I really don't do often.

How weird is it using the keypad/arrow key stuff combined in one with the num lock key toggling between them?

Any thoughts on the Corsair K70? Even though it's higher than I'm looking to spend, is the difference worth it?

I feel like I'm leaning towards the CM Storm Quickfire TK at the moment

While I'm on a budget if I'm going to spend $40 more, enjoy it a lot more, and have it actually last I'm more prone to just sucking it up and saving what I'd spend in the future by doing it now. Quality kind of matters. Right now i'm using a pretty old Logitech g11 that I had from before I started using mechanical, and it's just not the same.

I feel like I kind of need brown switches, and that means I have to spend $75 basically.

Looking at the 2 Coolermaster ones. I've never used a tenkeyless keyboard, do you really notice or miss the keypad at all? I feel like I only really use it when I'm doing heavy excel work, which I really don't do often.

How weird is it using the keypad/arrow key stuff combined in one with the num lock key toggling between them?

Any thoughts on the Corsair K70? Even though it's higher than I'm looking to spend, is the difference worth it?

I feel like I'm leaning towards the CM Storm Quickfire TK at the moment

I absolutely need a keypad for my work board as I'm a network engineer, but for home I don't miss it. The Corsair is solid build quality, only negative really is the keycap quality, which again has a nonstandard bottom row so you can't easily replace them. Personally I'd go for a CoolerMaster. That's probably what I'm going to get for my secondary system when the money comes around.

I really like my Corsair K90, super solid and aluminum. I've tried a few Razers in stores, I know people enjoy them but it seemed to have very mediocre build quality for the price.

I've got a K70 with MX Brown switches.

A little loud when typing (even after having gone trough the painstaking task of putting O-rings under every key cap) because of the nature of most mechanical switches, but I'm also a heavy typer by nature.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still stick with MX Brown because I often game and my fingers physically hover-touch and twitch on the key caps. If I had went with MX Red, my hovering and twitching would make for a lot of unintended key presses.

A little loud when typing (even after having gone trough the painstaking task of putting O-rings under every key cap) because of the nature of most mechanical switches, but I'm also a heavy typer by nature.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still stick with MX Brown because I often game and my fingers physically hover-touch and twitch on the key caps. If I had went with MX Red, my hovering and twitching would make for a lot of unintended key presses.

This was kind of my thinking in wanting Browns

Both Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Red have the same actuation force (45cn).

Reds give the impression of feeling lighter however due to being a linear switch. The keycap material and thickness can make some difference as well (ABS, PBT, POM).

Both Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Red have the same actuation force (45cn).

Reds give the impression of feeling lighter however due to being a linear switch. The keycap material and thickness can make some difference as well (ABS, PBT, POM).

Exactly why I chose MX Brown over Red...the tactile "bump" with the Brown prevents me from accidental keypresses. ;)

Exactly why I chose MX Brown over Red...the tactile "bump" with the Brown prevents me from accidental keypresses. ;)
Links? I'm in the market for a new keyboard also. I've been using my old Focus 2001 for over 15 years, but some of the keys require a very hard press to work.

I highly suggest anyone unsure about switches buys a switch tester. Around 10 bucks is well worth not buying the wrong $100+ keyboard.

Links? I'm in the market for a new keyboard also. I've been using my old Focus 2001 for over 15 years, but some of the keys require a very hard press to work.

I'm also looking but at the moment it's the DASKEYBOARD Professional 4 that has my attention. Any peeps with experience on this board please enlighten thanx.

Well, things change, as I continued looking into the DAS Pro 4 I found that it isn't a backlighted board. I ordered a Corsair K70 w/Brown Cherry MX Switches and a Razer Golgotha Mouse Mat, the big 3' long one. I have the shorter mat and wanted to try the longer one that the keyboard can sit on as well.

Well, things change, as I continued looking into the DAS Pro 4 I found that it isn't a backlighted board. I ordered a Corsair K70 w/Brown Cherry MX Switches and a Razer Golgotha Mouse Mat, the big 3' long one. I have the shorter mat and wanted to try the longer one that the keyboard can sit on as well.

Nice! Please let us know what you think of the K70 and MX Brown switches after a couple/few days of use. :)

Side note, I should really look into getting a keyboard+mouse unified mat...I'm tired of my current mouse-only mat sliding about in the middle of a firefight. :mad:

I'm looking into that same keyboard, need to expand from a 10keyless CM Storm with MX Browns, tell us what you think.:)

I'm also looking but at the moment it's the DASKEYBOARD Professional 4 that has my attention. Any peeps with experience on this board please enlighten thanx.

I'm not a big fan of the DAS boards at all. I owned a Pro 4 for about 3 weeks and didn't like the layout of it. Plus, it's missing LEDS for those who like them.

My current is a Ducky Shine 4 with MX Blacks. I prefer a linear switch over tactile because I'm not a fan of noisy switches like Blues or Browns. I owned a Pok3r with Blues which in my opinion was the worst board I ever owned.

If you're looking for a fullsize keyboard with Browns that has a good feel and good quality and doesn't have LEds then check out the Leopold FC900. They retail around $120.00. If I wasn't so stuck on Ducky boards I would buy one.

Back