Need help finding a file transfer program

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

I would like to be able to transfer some files to my parents computer, and I remember a program called somethingTubes, I believe it was freeware. It allowed doing just that, transfer files from one computer to another, sort of like Hamachi if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone know this program?

This service might work for you:
www.yousendit.com

I need to move large files (1Gish each). I don't want something like filefront because I just want a program that transfers it right away without having to mess with websites or anything. Sort of like creating a LAN, and then dragging and dropping files

ummm, so then why dont u just network the computers and turn on file sharing?

Not quite sure how to do that, was hoping for a program that automates it..

Do they need to be physically connected for it to happen?

Are these computers within close proximity to do a LAN or cross-over cable, or will traffic have to go out to the Internet at some point? If it's the latter, then Hamachi may be one software solution that can do the job.

They're not close enough for a cable. They're two desktops at two different rooms in the house. I'll try Hamachi, I just thought it was for gaming only.

Thanks

They're not close enough for a cable. They're two desktops at two different rooms in the house. I'll try Hamachi, I just thought it was for gaming only.

Thanks
This link should clarify some details about Hamachi:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

One thing I'm not certain of is how it would handle passing packets between two machines that are (like your case) coming from the same public IP address. Would the packets have to go out to the public Internet just to come back to the detsination machine, or is it smart enough to keep the traffic being passed within your own network? (if someone else can answer this, please do so)

For your case, this is ultimately a transfer speed question -- are you limited by your local router/switch, or your upstream speed of your ISP? If the packets DO go out to the public Internet and back again, then it will take forever to transfer gigs of data that you mentioned. And in that case you'd be better off doing a file share locally or a cross-over cable.

Let us know what you decide on doing, and what you've observed.

Thanks

Might I ask how you have each of them connected to the internet?

Might I ask how you have each of them connected to the internet?

One is through a router, and one is directly connected to a modem

I was going to try Hamachi, but my parents computer is Running Linux, and while they have a Linux cilent, it needs a lot of configuration to get up and running and I really don't know much about Linux, and it's not important enough for me to invest time into trying to getting it to work, so nevermind

if they are both running on the same LAN line, you can easily turn file sharing on and setup a network connection between the two computers. I know how to do it with win98, i think its a little trickier with XP but I'm sure google can help!

Windows and Linux file sharing is not a problem to do. Make sure they are both on the same IP block and subnet, setup the file shares on the physical machines, then use a Samba connection to pass authentication credentials, and you're done. Google is your friend on this.

Most linux machines have a samba client installed by default, which will allow them to connect to windows shares but won't let windows machines to connect to them, that requires the full samba package.

open up whatever file system gui is installed on that linux box and direct it to 'smb:\\<yourcomputername>\<sharename>' and you should get something, assuming your windows box is configured properly might even try just 'smb:\\<yourcomputername>\' if you can't get that to work. Alternatively, you probably have some sort of network browser on the linux box as well to do this easier, but without knowing more about the system, can't give you details.

As the poster above me said, google will be your friend on this one. Every flavor of linux has its unique factors to consider.

Back