Need help finding a budget PSU (<$100)

Gotenks326

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I need some help finding a nice, budget PSU. Normally I would just look into the highest rated/most reviewed PSUs on Newegg, but after stumbling upon this this PSU forum and the sticky at top, I don't think this is a safe way to go anymore (Apparently a Thermaltake PSU is bad according to the sticky, and that's the highest rated PSU that I was going to get; plus, there's SO many brands on that list that I thought were just fine, so I feel the need to specifically ask for help now).

Okay, I'm looking to spend well south of $100 (Preferably around $50). The computer I'm building will start with the following stats:

ASUS P5N-E Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
FREETECH PX6200TD-128M GeForce 6200 PCI-E x16
G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

That's what I plan on buying, so all I have left is the power supply. After 3-4 months I plan to upgrade the graphics card to an X1950XT and add another 1GB of memory.

So, what power supply should I get that's the most reliable and will offer the best performance? I really don't care about aesthetics or modular cable support or anything like that; I'm looking to spend ~$50 on the PSU.

Thanks in advance.

If it helps, this is the PSU I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817153023

I'm looking to buy from places that accept PayPal, but am open to all advice. What did you have in mind?

Well ewiz has some good Enhance products and deadeyedata has some silverstones you might consider.

Also checkout ajump.com for the Enhance power supplies. Pretty competative to ewiz. Even though they say backordered, just order one and they ship it. dunno why it's that way, but that's what they told me to do.

Both of those power supplies suck on efficiency. Your gonna create more heat in the case vs. an efficient one.

What's a good level of efficiency? The Enhance is >80&#37; while XCLIO is >70%; doesn't seem like much of a difference, especially considering the Enhance costs more. Are you guys talking about the 5150G or 5150GH?

Also, can you guys confirm that these power supplies WILL 100% work with my motherboard/processor configuration?

I am going by 80&#37;. I use www.80plus.org for my purchase information. Lots of good information on that site. The Enhance is 80+ certified. This is for the 5150GH.

recommendations in this thread:

TT 430w: Avoid. only 18a on the +12v.
FSP AX-400: Better available
XClio 500w: Good choice, but others available too
Sunbeam Nuuo: I like it.
Enhance ENS-5150GH: That's just how we roll. Get this one.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm going to go with the Enhance 5150GH :)

I'm going to buy one off of eBay since my money is locked up in PayPal (eWiz doesn't take PayPal).

Back