Need help finalizing my i5 build $750-$800

Sent

Gawd
Okay I can't wait any longer (for 5770s etc) so I'm pulling the trigger this weekend on this build.

Processor: Core i5 750 (Microcenter)
Motherboard: Need help deciding
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (Combo with video card below)
Video Card: XFX HD 4870 1GB
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
Case: Antec 300 Illusion (combo with PSU below)
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W
Cooler: Need help deciding (Thinking V8?)

I'll sell the 4870 next year sometime and upgrade. I decided to drop it down from a 4890 to get a heatsink so I can overclock a little bit. PC mostly for gaming.

How much left of your budget do you have?

What do you need in a mobo?

~$179-$229

A motherboard that is stable and can overclock a little bit. I'm not going extreme. I don't need SLI or anything like that. My monitor isn't that huge.

I would go for the TRUE as it owns that heatsink and isnt much more m8. may not look as good but definately owns that one. Also look for a used 4890 because a lot of people will be selling them as the 5 series is now out. just my 2 cents

Go with the CD53 if you don't need mATX/Crossfire/Firewire.

For a cooler, go with something cheaper than the TRUE and V8. Those are overpriced, IMO. Though, the cheaper models that perform nearly as good still don't have the LGA1156 brackets, but they should be out soon... so I'd wait, use the stock for now.

For a cooler, go with something cheaper than the TRUE and V8. Those are overpriced, IMO. Though, the cheaper models that perform nearly as good still don't have the LGA1156 brackets, but they should be out soon... so I'd wait, use the stock for now.

Recommendations?

Damn I coulda saved $20 if I knew about that promo :|

Anyway, for the cheapo option I'd go with a 212+ by Coolermaster. The instructions kind of suck (as has been brought up before) but if you've done home-builds you can easily figure it out without RTFM haha. It's very competitive and it's at your local MC as well for a good price. Hrmm, seems they raised the price by $5 (from 24.99 to 29.99). However, Newegg's price is also 29.99 so it's still a deal regardless.

If you want some convincing that the 212+ is legit:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ster-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-10.html

We have to wait and see if some of the "cheaper models" that enginurd mentioned get LGA1156 mounting kits.. So far, only the TRUE and Noctua NH-U12P have them available, but you would then have to purchase them separately. (Newer "revisions" with the new mounting kits included will come eventually, but we don't know exactly when.)

Yah, that Hyper 212 is fine. Cool, didn't know CM had their bracket out already.

Back