Need help fast, OS rebooting on start-up

CyberSlave

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, here's the deal, I decided to restart my box since it has been going for about a week and a half non-stop.

all is going fine, normal reboot, then once the Windows loading thingy goes away it just restarts itself.

I have F8 during reboot and gone to the last know good settings and nothing. (only thing I could think to do).

Nothign has been added or removed from my box, and I am at a loss why it won't start right.

I am sittign here in safe mode typing this.

specs:
Athlon 1800+ (not oc'ed)
1 gig pc2100, 1 512 and 2 256 sticks
XP Pro fully patched with SP2. (never had a problem with SP2, but I am not ruling it out)

I am lost. Help me please

ASAP.

boot up, hit f8 and go to last known config..see if that helps..if it doesnt, boot, f8 then there is an option to log everything that loads..if it freezes it'll show you what it froze on, then you can go and MOVE that file out of the dir..DONT delete anything as it may bork your windows completely..

check the event viewer to see if the offending service/driver/application has been recorded.

CyberSlave said:
I have F8 during reboot and gone to the last know good settings and nothing. (only thing I could think to do).

phaelinx said:
boot up, hit f8 and go to last known config..see if that helps
You should read the whole post next time. ;)

Have you updated any drivers or added hardware lately?

Boot into safemode. If Windows fully loads, it's a driver issue. Start with reinstalling any driver you updated, remove any new hardware, and if you didn't add/update anything start with your video card drivers.

Last known good won't be good anymore if a bootup failed however.. Kinda a false sense of hope, I know. . :(

I had the very same problem a few months ago, well pretty much so.

Anyway, the machine would reboot soon as it went to initalize the monitor into video mode.

Swapped out the vid card and it booted fine. Put the old card back in and back to the never ending reboots..

Finally tracked the problem down to a bad fan on the vid card.

-scoob8000

versello said:
Was the fan making any odd grinding noises you failed to mention?

Actually no, upon closer inspection the fan was running, but very slowly.

Moreso than heat, I'm thinking it might of been drawing too much juice from the pin header on the video card. (stock cooler btw)

-scoob8000

i'm having a similar issue with a friend's machine. if the machine won't boot, safe mode or otherwise, how can i check the event log to see what happened? the machine almost gets into windows but then it bluescreens and autorestarts before i can read what happened

Back