Need help erasing hard-drive

there are multiple programs which allow you to erase or swipe your hardrive

(google is your friend)

first off are yuo goin to resell it and is this why you are swiping it?

-you can always burn it with acid...

I dont want acid on it and im not selling it has windows installed twice and its taking up all my memory so I figure ill just go a head and wipe the whole thing

Pop in your Windows XP CD, boot from the disc, when the option comes up, choose to install Windows, and then remove the partition(s) that it finds. Then install. It'll automatically partiton the drive (into 1 partition) and format the disc before installation begins.

Nothing to buy, nothing to install, not to do before the installation. Everything you need is on the Windows XP CD.

Download DBAN (CDR/CDRW version.) and burn it to a cdrw, then boot your computer with it and wipe your hard disk, about the boot disk failure, make sure you select the proper order in computer bios

oldmx

how do i do that?...and i downloaded dban and gave me same thing failure to boot from disc...please xplain in detail im noob

ok the hard-drive is a Western Digital ...its an old pc i havent even heard of this brand so dont ask me anything about it

uh if your system cant boot from a CD and cant use a floppy your screwed. You have to fix on or the other to format it in that machine.

Or you could:

Install the HD in another machine and format it with the windows disk manager.
or

If you dont need the drive anymore, drill a hole through the platters.

Is the bios set up to boot from cd first? Go to the bios during bootup (press DEL or F1 it will say somewhere on the screen , it varies) go to boot menu and make the cd drive the first boot device.

Back