Need help encoding a fairly low profile in linux...

Nazo

2[H]4U
Well, some time ago I found out that my new PDA can actually handle video encodes pretty well. In my initial tests with TCMP it handled 23.976 FPS 320x240 video at up to around 400Kbps total (including the audio.) However, atm I'm stuck with linux (long story, Windows isn't optional ATM.) Ok, so I spend hours and hours figuring out many of the command line functions to mencoder and writing a childishly simple program to handle passing the same parameters every time so I can just type "pdaencode video\ file.avi" and it handles the rest.

At first I thought all was well, but I started watching the output and realized that it's still not quite coming out right. In particular, the culprit now is that framerate conversion in mencoder. I need to drop down to 23.976 for a still pretty smooth video, but better quality for bitrate (kind of needed when bitrate must remain a pretty low number like this.) When I watched a little more into the test video I noticed that mencoder seems to be using a hard drop rather than any kind of blending. The video is skipping very noticably with very little movement (it's just a simple music video with no crazy dancing, so with so little movement I shouldn't be able to see hard drops even if they were done well...) Right now I'd kill for Avisynth v3 to be out the door because I know Avisynth's (well, v2's anyway) framerate converter is just wonderful, supporting blend or hard drop with good quality from each (though I always prefer blend as at times you can't even tell the framerate was converted with that unless you're really looking for it, and I'm not.) Is mencoder even capable of a better framerate conversion?

Also, on this whole subject, I searched around as much as I could to try to find a decent GUI for all of this. Most wouldn't even work at all, and many are so badly outdated that it's just not funny (one or two probably even lack XviD support...) Konverter is actually the only one I could get to work so far, but it floods the console with errors, crashes frequently (and every single time I hit the browse button, so I must manually type in the input filename,) and then proceeds to encode a video completely ignoring nearly all of my settings including scaling and bitrate... I've tried a few non frontend tools such as iriverter, but none of them have any decent control over the encode. I want not just bitrate control, but scaling to my chosen size, audio resampling (because at this bitrate, 48KHz is just a waste and will sound worse than a resampled 44.1KHz,) and most of all framerate conversion since 23.976 FPS is perfect for my needs. In Windows I'd just toss them through a simple AVISynth script and encode via VirtualDub and I would already be done by now, but in linux I'm really running into dead ends no matter how much I google... Isn't there some tool that makes this all easier than a page long set of extra confusing command line parameters (I swear that in all my years of using the command line interface for so much I have never met the likes of mencoder and it's just too much for me even if I did start out in the DOS days of computing)? *sigh* I really miss VirtualDub + AVISynth... I tried to get VirtualDub running via WINE, and it somewhat works, but it seems codecs aren't doing so well. Ffdshow is missing altogether (though with a little tweaking I managed to get the audio decoder to show up in the audio codecs list -- fat lot of good THAT does) and I can't for the life of me figure out why the Lame ACM won't show up even though I added the appropriate registry keys as well as system.ini entry... XviD did show up but I haven't even tested it yet since PCM or ADPCM audio are just out of the question (PCM is just too huge, and I can't stand ADPCM.)

Any ideas?

Back