Need Help Dual Booting Vista and 2000

tickle_me_emo

[H]ard|Gawd
I just built my first computer with 64bit Vista Home Premium. Specs here.

My new computer with Vista installed on it is going to replace an old Dell one with windows 2000 (on an IDE drive). I would like to keep all the data on the windows 2000 hard drive.

What would be the best way to keep that data? Dual boot? (if so how would I do that since both OSes are already installed on their respective hard drives)?

My motherboard, Abit IP35 pro can support an IDE drive and there's space to support another harddrive in my p182 case. I don't have any disc imaging software (though I might purchase some if persuaded). I searched google for a bit and found this thread about grub4dos but i found it pretty hard to follow.

Any tips or links on what I should do will be greatly appreaciated.

I personally would just put the ide drive in an enclosure and pull all the data I needed off of it onto the new system and then use it as a backup for my files.

If you have the space, just slave it in, and as recommended above, snag the data you want and then just use the drive for storage.

What do you mean, slave it in? This is my first time building a computer, so i'm not too familiar with the procedures.

Can I just unplug my computer, install the win2000 drive with the pins so it's in slave mode, power everything on and it will work?

I take it, It will boot into Vista, and I can move the files from the win2000 drive onto my other harddrive with Vista? There won't be much compatability issues I hope?

I think we need to step back a bit here. Do you need data files off the drive, or are you trying to use programs and such?

If it's only the data files, you can add the drive to your new computer's IDE port (either as a slave or master, depending on your setup.) Then, you can just copy off the data files you need. A dual boot is when you want to run either OS, and that might not be what you want to do right now.

Back