Need HELP diagnosing Asus P5QL problems

ritch1

Weaksauce
I’m having real problems setting up a friends pc. Its running on an Asus P5QL and the parts used seem like pretty good quality although not sure about the 450 PSU.

It was built with everything except the graphics card, which I installed for him, then the problems began. The card is an Nvidia 8800GT, once installed nothing came up on the screen, no usual short beep or anything. After taking it out and re fitting it the machine then decided to boot up long enough to install windows.

Then the blank screen happened again when turning off and restarting, so I assumed it was the PCI express slot as I tried another card and the same thing happened. What also happened is the “express gate” message would come up and just freeze there. Its all very inconsistent, different things seemed to be happening after every restart, the power button seemed to do nothing at one point, then it suddenly came on. I also got one continuous beep and one point?

I took a memory stick out to see if that would make a difference and things booted ok, when I put it back things booted ok as well so I didn’t really gather anything from that. I don’t know if this is significant but the memory is put in the second dimm slots as the CPU cooler gets in the way of the first slot. It seems like a bit of a shoddy build, it’s a smaller sized board as well and it got a massive heat sink.

It has also restarted a few times during windows and I got a blue screen, which suggest it could be a memory issue, I been fiddling around trying to diagnose the cause of this and all I can think is its either the memory or motherboard. I assume the 450 power supply is enough to run a 8800GT?

Anyway I’d appreciate any pointers, I probably not mentioned a few things

thanks

Did you ever try resetting the CMOS? That might help.

As for the PSU, whether or not it's suitable depends on the brand. If it's a good PSU, it'll be enough, but if it's a shitty PSU or a generic model, it could be the source of the problems.

Back