• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help desperately: deleted a virtual machine with critical data under linux.

Starriol

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
191
Hi all,

I'm in a pretty messed-up situation, hope you can give me a hand.
I deleted by accident a folder containing a VMware server virtual machine, that contains most critical information. The host OS is CentOS 5.5, which I believe by default uses Ext3.

I shut down the PC intermediately after noticing this.
Is there any chance of recovering the files? Would they be able to mount to the same or another virtual machine?

I need to get this information somehow, there are no backups.

Which software can I use?

If anyone can help me recover this, you'll get a free book by amazon, you have my word.
I'm THAT desperate.
 
Ext3 is effectively ext2 plus a (sort of optional) journal, so anything that works with ext2 should handle ext3 as well. Definitely worth a try.

Failing that, and depending on what kind of files you lost, you can scan the entire disk looking for JPEG headers/relevant text phrases/whatever; basically treating it as a multi-GB pile of random data to sift through. For jpgs, there are automated solutions (e.g. photorec), but for most other things you'll have to do it rather manually. (For text, cat /dev/disk/whatever | strings | less is about as fancy as you're likely to get - or you can use grep and ask for a liberal amount of context.)

I recommend booting from a USB stick or liveCD, mounting an external drive to save stuff to, and brewing about a gallon of tea.
 
Back
Top