Need help deciding.

Discussion in 'All non-AMD/Intel CPUs' started by manny1222, Nov 18, 2016.

1. manny1222

manny1222 Gawd

Hi guys,
    My son turns 12 a few days before Christmas and I was thinking of getting him something to get him into the world of tech, computing and programming.
    I'm trying to decide between an arduino starter kit or a raspberry pi starter kit. The problem is that I don't have any knowledge or experience wit either of them so I can't decide. I don't want something that will be so complicated that he loses interest, but something that will challenge him enough.
    What do you guys think?

2. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

My vote is for the pi. They have a large user base with a lot of resources.

whateverer likes this.
  3. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

arduino is for people who need a micro controller to do very specific things, but don't want to learn the intricacies of that micro controller. So you use a generic laguage to do things. There's a big community, and lots of sample projects available, but it you're not a self-starter, you'll forget the gift ever existed.

Pi is a cheap general-use computer with a Linux distribution made for it, and only requires programming experience if you want it to. I'd definitely lean that way for a 12 year old.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. liiroy

liiroy Limp Gawd

5. Powerage

Powerage [H]ard|Gawd

Go for the raspberry pi 3. Since he's only 12, might want to get an age appropriate starter kit with it.

6. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

Pi3

I bought one for both of my nephews recently and they're both having a lot of fun tinkering around with it. I can they're still messing around with them because I will periodically get strange Linux related questions from them.

Powerage likes this.