• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help deciding.

manny1222

Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
732
Hi guys,
My son turns 12 a few days before Christmas and I was thinking of getting him something to get him into the world of tech, computing and programming.
I'm trying to decide between an arduino starter kit or a raspberry pi starter kit. The problem is that I don't have any knowledge or experience wit either of them so I can't decide. I don't want something that will be so complicated that he loses interest, but something that will challenge him enough.
What do you guys think?
 
arduino is for people who need a micro controller to do very specific things, but don't want to learn the intricacies of that micro controller. So you use a generic laguage to do things. There's a big community, and lots of sample projects available, but it you're not a self-starter, you'll forget the gift ever existed.

Pi is a cheap general-use computer with a Linux distribution made for it, and only requires programming experience if you want it to. I'd definitely lean that way for a 12 year old.
 
Last edited:
Go for the raspberry pi 3. Since he's only 12, might want to get an age appropriate starter kit with it.
 
Pi3

I bought one for both of my nephews recently and they're both having a lot of fun tinkering around with it. I can they're still messing around with them because I will periodically get strange Linux related questions from them.
 
I have to buy a lot of tickets and on my mobile and main machine i get higher prices than on a newly cobbled up rig.
So maybe you want to play-purchase around a bit with a rig that has nothing on you on its harddrive.
 
Pi3 is good, thats my vote
Yeah, considering the Pi 5 has been released, getting a Pi 3 from half a decade ago doesn't seem like a great choice, and neither does your choice in ancient threads to res to get your post count up.

I have to buy a lot of tickets and on my mobile and main machine i get higher prices than on a newly cobbled up rig.
So maybe you want to play-purchase around a bit with a rig that has nothing on you on its harddrive.
Clear your browser cache.
Some of these posts, just wow...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top