• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need help deciding on what to do next

twoodcc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
265
so i have an i7 920 system that the PSU just died. i'm not sure if i lost anything else. i'm trying to decide if i should put more money into this rig, or just start over?

my choices are new mobo/psu/case - i had bad luck with all of these. if i keep the 920, i gotta get these 3. i'm looking around $400-$500 probably.

or should i just start over with an i7 2600k? i basically am just buying everything in option 1, plus the processor (of course a different mobo)

what do you think? don't put any more money into the old platform, or save the extra money for that new processor?

thanks in advance
 
If you are bound and determined to replace the motherboard, I think you should probably go with an SB system, otherwise, I'd just pick up a corsair PSU and call it a day.

My main machine at the moment is a i7 2600k, Biostar Z68 Motherboard, Corsair HX1000, 16GB Ram, Corsair 800D case, AMD 5870 Video Card, 60GB SSF w/ 2TB WD Black running with SSD Caching Enabled. Rocks like a champ :)
 
I would get the PSU and determine what has died and what hasn't. Once you are that far decide if you want to sell of the rig on the FSFT forum or fix / run it. You have a few bucks of parts sitting there that have value to someone but if you sell them condition unknown then you aren't going to get much for them. If you just don't care and are going to throw them in the garbage I will take a chance and pay shipping but really just test them out first and sell them on if you want.

You will need a PSU for your new rig anyway.
 
ya'll make a good point. i'll get a new PSU and start from there. but if a new mobo is needed, is it worth putting money in it? or just moving on to the newer platform? or even get the new 6-core?
 
Agree with the first two replies, buy a good replacement PSU to test it out. If something else is dead, you are already a step ahead on the new build.

If the mobo is dead, I would move to Sandy Bridge. Z68 boards are all over the place for less than $100 while quality X58 remains above that.

This is valid for another couple hours
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

X-650 for $99 bucks is a steal and one of the best PSU's you can buy today.
 
Agreed if MB is dead then moving up is the right move. The question is SB or SB-E? That depends on your budget and what you are doing with it.

To me there isn't much point in a 2600K for folding now. 2500k will run SMP close enough to not matter as bigadv is going away for the 2600K and it is a 100 bucks you could use elsewhere.

The SB-E chips (six cores or less) will only run SMP also but will generate more points while doing it but cost more.
 
so is the 3930k worth it?

Honestly, from what I'm seeing... not really. If you want absolute insanity, many times you can pick up dual quad or hex's w/ an dual socket mobo for about a 20-30% markup of what the 3930k + a decent motherboard is going to run you. Those can still run bigadv (if I'm reading correctly).

Otherwise, stay with what you have and wait for IB, or move to a Z68+2500/2600 (and hope IB doesn't require yet another new socket... sigh)
 
Honestly, from what I'm seeing... not really. If you want absolute insanity, many times you can pick up dual quad or hex's w/ an dual socket mobo for about a 20-30% markup of what the 3930k + a decent motherboard is going to run you. Those can still run bigadv (if I'm reading correctly).

Otherwise, stay with what you have and wait for IB, or move to a Z68+2500/2600 (and hope IB doesn't require yet another new socket... sigh)

thanks. i got a PSU today, and will be putting it together tonight. so i'll know then if i need to get a new mobo/processor. and if so, maybe microcenter will have a deal on friday?
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1652878

Read the bottom of page one if this rig will be primarily for folding. You can draw your own conclusions and do further research as required. If it is used for gaming or pretty much anything else the 2500K is an obvious choice.

so if he's getting 58k ppd, what would i expect with a 2500k or 2600k?

edit: everything i've found basically says that the 2500k doesn't have hyperthreading, and no bigadv units. now i know in january that won't matter, neither will get bigadv units, but even on regular smp units, wouldn't the 2600k beat the 2500k?
 
Last edited:
http://goo.gl/TZSXr

This spreadsheet is full of data.

Doing a quick review I find that a 2600k running SMP is pushing about 30K. I strongly suggest arriving at your own conclusions or possibly someone else who has a 2600K can pipe up. Not having any sandy bridge stuff I am stuck in the socket 1366 or older land for now.

As far as the 2600K beating a 2500K sure it will be a little faster but is it worth the extra money for the 2600K over the 2500K. It might be to you but for me it wouldn't be. The 2500K is just to good with the loss of bigadv on the 2600k. My thoughts are that you can have a socket that can handle a bigadv capable CPU by going socket 2011. Currently only Xeons (that I don't see for sale yet) have all 8 enabled but that will change with time. I believe they are the E5 series or something like that. So 8 + HT = 16 = bigadv. Which is another reason why I would try to go socket 2011. If it isn't in the budget then save your money and go 2500K for now.

The socket 2011 will have a long life as they will be putting it in up to quad socket servers. There are going to be lots of CPU's that will go in to it and you have the opportunity to go to a dual board and run your single CPU until you could afford dual Xeons. Anyway like I said if I had the budget I would go to socket 2011. You should arrive at your own conclusions.
 
so if he's getting 58k ppd, what would i expect with a 2500k or 2600k?

edit: everything i've found basically says that the 2500k doesn't have hyperthreading, and no bigadv units. now i know in january that won't matter, neither will get bigadv units, but even on regular smp units, wouldn't the 2600k beat the 2500k?

In theory, not really. The speed isn't enhanced by HT, the core counts, so it helps with bigadv, and heavily threaded items, and folding, while threaded well, really prefers real cores. Hyperthreading basically allows 2 threads to use 1 core when it's not being used by the other thread; however, due to the way folding works, it can consume just as many resources by not running HT. The benefit was to make the minimums required by bigadv without some form of cheat hack.
 
So socket 2011 is for the long haul, and even though the mobos are over $300, it's worth it in the long run? Of course I want it to last, and if they release 8-core chips that I could upgrade to later, I'd be happy.

If micro center has a bundle deal on a 2011, I might try to get it
 
well i was able to install the new PSU and everything seems to work now.

now what should i expect temps to be running a 920 at almost stock speeds, folding at 100%? right now i'm running at 2.9 ghz and folding at 100% - i have 2 temp monitoring programs going - asus ai manager is saying 42-43 C and realTemp is saying 55-59 C.
 
I trust realTemp more on that, it's been accurate for me. 60C under load at stock voltages is pretty reasonable depending on your cooling. Mine folds at 3.8 with a slight voltage bump with peak temps of ~80C.
 
The 3930K rig puts out 64k ppd with posted OC and memory timings when left alone, but if it will be your primary rig like mine is actual ppd will be lower when multi-tasking obviously.

I have an i7 2700k and Sabertooth P67 I won't be keeping. If you're going to fold send me an offer. I owned those parts for 2 weeks so they're very slightly used. The i7 2700K OCs to 5.0Ghz with 1.41 Vcore.
 
well i have an H50 cooling it, and yeah i'm at stock voltages.

also wanted to point out that i have 2 gpus folding, but with this small motherboard, they block the northbridge, and so it overheats. so i have the case open, and a box fan blowing on it. another reason why i wanted a new mobo
 
The 3930K rig puts out 64k ppd with posted OC and memory timings when left alone, but if it will be your primary rig like mine is actual ppd will be lower when multi-tasking obviously.

I have an i7 2700k and Sabertooth P67 I won't be keeping. If you're going to fold send me an offer. I owned those parts for 2 weeks so they're very slightly used. The i7 2700K OCs to 5.0Ghz with 1.41 Vcore.

yeah i realize i probably wouldn't run that exact OC, and i might run a few scripts on it against my server, so that would dig into the ppd.

i'll keep that in mind. i'm still not sure what i'm going to do. i might keep this rig going for a while longer if i can get it at 4 ghz under 80C
 
Just an FYI. My 2600K running at 4.5 and 1.42v is presently churning out 31.5K ppd on a P6099. Thats about the average for that machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Oh and memory is 4 gig running at 800mhz according to CPUZ. 9-9-9-24 and 2t
 
Dont overlook putting a 6 core chip in that X58 specially if you can get a good deal on the chip. folding performance is in the middle of a 2600k and the 3930K.
 
Last edited:
Well this mobo is what I need to upgrade though. It's so small that the gpus cover the northbridge, causing it to overheat
 
I would run the working rig a little longer. November December are bad months to buy hardware barring screaming deals. January usually is better. Tough to beat June though!
 
Yeah I'm gonna try to run what I got for now. I still look for deals tomorrow, just to see. Microcenter has an i5 2500k for $150
 
Yeah saw the 2500K on sale. Not a bad price if you want it. I have managed to get Micro Center to price match newegg but you have to be buying quite a few parts. I went in back a while ago when they had that sort of price on Q9400's and got the whole system. Everything that was cheaper at Newegg they dropped down to match. They didn't raise the prices on the items that were cheaper so after it was all done and after tax I still came out ahead of all newegg + shipping by about 50 bucks. Pretty nice of them to hook me up. It was summer (doubt you could do that right now).

Running the socket 1366 board is cheap and by the time things start getting warm outside the deals on parts should be better and you can see where you want to go from there. One thing to watch out for is ES socket 2011 Xeons on Ebay. If you see someone dumping a bunch post it in here and watch the fur fly!
 
Back
Top