need help deciding on a new phone

oshia86

Gawd
I plan on getting a new cell phone this Thursday and i'm deciding between the iphone and lg voyager. What i like about the voyager is it takes videos, expandable memory and the plan is decent cons... interface seems sketchy and i really would like a phone that has good internet browsing capabilities. The iphone doesnt take videos but has an awesome interface, the plan seems decent but ive never used at&t. Right now something that is throwing a wrench into the mix is that i have a 16gb ipod touch and i would like to sell it (with all accessories,case, 1.1.3 software and extra apps bundle) should i choose to go the iphone route for roughly $200 (too high or too low?) to help offset the cost. Money isnt that big of a factor considering this would be from my income taxes anyway. I need help deciding and if one of you bit on the ipod deal that would also help. I wont put it in the f/s section yet as im still unsure. Thanks guys and i hope im clear but im sure you might have questions so ill check back periodically. Also if someone could weigh in on the at&t vs verizon services would be great to.

I recently dumped Sprint for ATT so I could import the HTC s730.

Its hard to say what phone you should get, a lot depends on the look your after and the type of functionality. Go play with the phones you are looking at and check out www.phonearena.com for some great information about the phones you are looking at.

As to the networks, Verizons is faster and if you get a Rev A compatable phone then you can get some serious speed. But if thats not a huge deal ATT has 3g on the 1700 / 1900 frequencies. Otherwise its Edge for you.

Since my phone uses the 2100 (european) 3g radio I am stuck on Edge, and do a pretty hefty ammount of browsing, and the delay is not that big of a deal for me and it works just fine. As to the iPhone I would say get something better. You can expand internal memory and get a much better phone with more support. I have a 6gb micro sd in mine with 4 gigs of music and 1 gig of video files and other things to watch. Third party support is wonderfull if you get a good OS on the phone, which Apple is not very open to.

The iPhone has a great touch screen yes, but otherwise its more a waste of money. Cannot easily do anything to it.

I have had a little use on the Voyager, (friend just bought one) and I did not like how spread out the keyboard was. Not to mention when the phone is open it doesnt seem natural the position and layout. The touch screen is very nice and pleasant to use, not as good as the iPhone by any means but it was good. The resolution I felt could be somewhat better. I dont know how good call quality is on either but check out phone arena, they talk about it in depth.

i found someone to bite on me ipod, and im gonna go ahead and get the iphone, it very good at what i want it for and ive played with other phones but some reason i like this one, thanks for your help though, its appreciated

Thats the best part, if its the phone that makes you happy then go for it :D I have played with one and really liked its touch screen, but for me it was not at all what I wanted.

I did not mess around with the demo unit online, but for my phone I found Edge network speeds quite acceptable. Dont expect blazing speed from it but it will suffice and get the job done faster than dial up. Web coding will help speed it up a lot too.

Glad you got what you wanted and enjoy it :D

You made a good choice on the iPhone, I have had one since about a month after it first launched and have enjoyed it every since. I will agree that EDGE is pretty worthless but for what I use it for it does a very good job, check traffic updates, stocks, weather, but living in a large city helps with wifi and having plenty of free spots.

I have a co-worker who was in the same bought about getting an iPhone or a Voyager and he just felt the Voyager was not up to the quality of what he felt he got with the iPhone. Though it all comes down to what the phone provides and what needs you want met.

The mobile browser on the iPhone is better than anything else I've seen. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of email and want a more customizable windows-like phone I'd say go for the HTC Tilt. It has the faster network and Windows Mobile on it.

Back