• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help deciding a new processor

firebug88

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
462
I want to upgrade my current amd quad core (specs in sig) with a core i7. But i want to get my moneys worth. Do i wait and get the new hex-core or do i go ahead and get a 920? Any advice would be helpful.
 
I want to upgrade my current amd quad core (specs in sig) with a core i7. But i want to get my moneys worth. Do i wait and get the new hex-core or do i go ahead and get a 920? Any advice would be helpful.

If you want to upgrade now, then the i7 920 (or newer 930) is probably your best choice. Otherwise you will have to wait until the new 6-core processors are released. If your current system can handle what you need it to, then there's no real reason to upgrade. Nevertheless, I'm almost certain that an i7 920 (with sufficient RAM) will be able to handle anything you throw at it.
 
I have i7 920 running on air at 3.6 without single modification on Intel DX58SO. Just upped bus to 165 + intel's own turbo mode = 3.63. I'm sure I can push it but why? Awesome processor for price.
 
im mainly going to do blu-ray processing and some cfd modeling so i take advantage of all four cores now. If i do upgrade, how future proof will it be? will it be at least 3 years future proof (realistically speaking)?
 
Snag an i7 920 at MC for $199 and OC the hell out of it and you'll be fine.
 
Snag an i7 920 at MC for $199 and OC the hell out of it and you'll be fine.

I dont have a MC around here, at least not close by (I live in North AL) otherwise that would be a great price. Unfortunately, i wil have to buy it from newegg for almost 100 more :(
 
You could ask someone to buy you one and sell it to you for a bit more than microcenter sells it for.
 
Back
Top