Need help. Data Recovery.

ninjaturtle

2[H]4U
Doing some backups last night and went to far up in the directory when deleting files.

Tried using Recuva with the directory restore option enabled but I'm getting a exceeded file path length error so I had to disable that. The file names seem to be intact.

Anyone know of a recovery program that can keep the folder structure and will not have file path length limit?

I know I can go into Recuva and unselect the files that trigger it and salvage from other sources to complete a directory, or re download the missing data.

Most of the files that are MP3 albums with cover art scans.

Thx,d.

Last edited:
Regardless of the recovery app you decide to use (I recommend GetDataBack btw) if you have a spare drive of at least the same size, BEFORE YOU USE ANY RECOVERY APP make an image of your existing drive (You can use most linux livecds and the command to use is:)

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

sda is your original and sdb is your copy. DO NOT mix them up or you will blank your drive.

Another option if you don't want to use dd is clonezilla

Make sure you verify the source and destination drives before starting a bit for bit copy. I usually do that with a combination of fdisk -l / hdparm -I and smartctl --all

I had a similar issue just a month or two ago. Windows backup took out both my data and backup drive.

I used a Ubuntu live disk and installed TestDisk ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ). It can be damned slow - it took me literally weeks to recover stuff, but that was over 2TB of data. Eventually I ended up doing the recovery 1 directory at a time because of the large sizes and being text based there is no progress indicator. Directories are preserved.

As has been said above, make sure you have an empty drive of at least the size that you want to recover.

Now that I'm back to my keyboard and not posted via my phone....

Ug, Using Recuva now to compare with my archive backup drive to see what new data I haven't had backed up yet. Shouldn't be so much, maybe around 10-20GBs of new content out of a 800GBs, the rest was ROMs to be sorted in English sets, movies and music already archived, game ISOs and that monster 400GB image directory I copied over that I was going to check for duplicates but decided to delete instead but took out the whole HDD in the process.

Lessen learned peeps, when staying up til 2am( 1 hour past your "hey, I should really hit the sack" time) to finish your storage management work, DON'T NOD OFF WHEN DELETING SHIT! :)

Man stayed up to 4am to set up Recuva to search for files...PIMFA!

Seeing what GetDataBack can do now.

EDIT: Nice, GDB just got done scanning the drive. I like that it line-out the stuff that have been marked for deletion. Now to see . Crap I have to buy it, $80 lol.

Recovering now. :)

Last edited:
Back