Need help/confirmation from someone else on GTX280 temp

goofybastard

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a BFG GTX280. I am using 177.92 drivers.

On Furmark 1.4.0 I got these results:
Stability Test
Full Screen
1600 x 1200
No MSAA Samples
After 600 seconds I have a 102 degree C reading.

Is this okay? I have looked around for other ways to confirm this but my searches didn't work out well.

Could someone else please either run this or let me know if this seems like a reasonable temp or not?

Thanks.

still in "safe" range but top end, think its 105 or lower. install evga precision and try manually changing the fan speed to 70ish and see how that helps. my gtx 260 idles in 40's and loads at 70-73 with a decent overclock on it.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

still in "safe" range but top end, think its 105 or lower. install evga precision and try manually changing the fan speed to 70ish and see how that helps. my gtx 260 idles in 40's and loads at 70-73 with a decent overclock on it.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

I did that. I set the fan to 75 and ran Furmark again. I hit 102 degrees C in 300 seconds. Having it set to auto did better. It took twice as long to get that hot.

Are there any other things I can try?

Still, getting to 102C is no good... if it still gets up there no matter what you do it makes me think its either defective or its got bad thermalpaste.

That is why I am concerned and looking for other confirmation. It does get hot. The other part of me wonders how to qualify the temps. If I am hitting these temps running Furmark does that necessarily transfer to a problem playing games - Crysis comes to mind.

I typically game at 1600 x 1200 - no AA. How do I relate the Furmark temps against a typical game situation? Do I just game until it dies - if it dies?

The second Furmark run where the fan was set to 75 - the temp was still climbing. just prior to my shutting it down it did hit 103 briefly.

The first run with the fan set to auto - it was climbing but much slower than the second run with the fan at 75.

Well, when i usually troubleshoot these cards i always ask to make sure theres good air circulation in the case. Make sure youve got good airflow going to the card. Also, if someone calls and says their card is overheating to 102C it would definitely be cause for concern in my book. even if you turn the fan to 75 that makes me think even more that theres an internal issue. What PSu do you have?

You have one of the faulty heat sink models that came out a while ago. Just send it back if you have a warranty on it.

There is no way a card that is only 1 level above mine can be 30-35 degrees hotter. Even my gtx 260 OC to FTW speeds stays at 67 degrees on air at only 60 percent fan speed under max load playing crysis at Very high settings using the xp hack. Even clear sky's doesn't get my card cooking. So yeah you just got one of the bad models they have been talking About in the threads that complain about the temps on that card. Just get it replaced via a warranty exchange. or you could technically claim it as defective.

Also what are your idle temps. Mine is 41 degrees with the auto down clock active

There is good case ventilation.

The idle temps are ~42 C.

The psu is a PC power & cooling Turbo Cool 510 SLI (650W peak)

I also have tried running with the side panel off to see if there would be any difference - no change.

Thank you everyone for your help thus far, are there any other ideas or suggestions to try before I start contacting BFG or Newegg?

What temp does it run when you play games. I don't like Furmark because it produces more heat then any game ever will.

It hits around the mid-80s C or so.

Edit-

This is why I posted this thread. I'm not sure that this is a problem and want to know what others think before I took the next step.

When playing games the fan escalates as needed. I have not noticed any other issues yet that would tell me that the card is on its way out. Furmark seems set up to test a card quite rigorously and I'm not sure that it is a realistic expectation for how I normally use the card. I'm not trying to defend any position here, I just don't want to start saying the sky is falling before its time or without some corroboration from others based on what they experienced.

It should never go above 90C if you have good ventilation. Therefore, the card has issues regardless of what software it is pushing. I would RMA now before it's too late.

A good rule of thumb is to have a backup cheapy card for times like this.

Well, I sent an email to BFG to see just what the best way to handle this.

We'll see what they say.

I do have several back-up cards I can put in. The most recent is a 7950GX2. So, pending what I hear from BFG, the plan will be to replace the GTX280 with the 7950GX2 and start going down the replacement card route.

I would RMA, the sign of the bad 280s was 105c very quickly, and this sounds SIMILAR

My 260 heavy overclock doesn't go over 83 or so in Furmark, doesn't break 75 in any game

Just thought I'd put a little update in.

I went through the email customer support deal.

They recommened that I send the card in. To do that you still need to call the tech guys on the phone for a RMA number to be issued. One thing that I found out after calling the tech was that I should have registered the card as soon as I received it just to save a little time. Also, the tech you call on the phone doesn't have access to the email ticket number stuff. So you do have to explain everything that was gone through with the email tech.

I was then asked how I determined the temps on the card. I told them I used the EVGA precision program and the Furmark bench tests that showed real time temps. He was satisfied with this and I got my RMA. I sent he card off this afternoon and we'll see how the customer service of BFG is. My last experience was pretty good. But that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, I have similar problem. Have Leadtek GTX280. When on auto fan starts to spin up in just one minute in Crysis Warhead to 100% and temp is 80C. Insatlled Winfox software from Winfast and used manual fan control but that made it worse: fan moved to 50% made card sweating at 105C, then fan starts to spin up and down all the time. Even running ATI tool with that hairy cube in 3D made my card heta up to 105C....

Here is how my temps were on air and water with my 280:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1322707

Thanks for posting that. My card was seeing significantly higher temps. BFG received my card today and we'll see what happens.

I put a 7950GX2 back into my system while the 280 is out. When running the same FurMark test, the temps never go over 81 degrees C. On course it is also only putting out ~12 frames a second compared to the 280 putting out ~55 frames per second.

I am hoping that there is an obvious issue with the card since it was showing such a high temp. - particularly when I look at this 7950GX2 and don't see it putting out anywhere near the same temps.

Might be late but here you go (BFG 280 OC)

Matching your settings mine topped out at 85c @ 95% fan

105c is not normal or acceptable ! do abit of research and you will find that this is a known issue. its not furmark or your fan settings ,its the faulty IHS installation. theres very little you can do to fix this.

Might be late but here you go (BFG 280 OC)

Matching your settings mine topped out at 85c @ 95% fan

Thanks for checking that. I just checked the site to see how my claim was doing and found that a replacement has been sent already. I should see that tomorrow or Friday.

When that one gets here we'll see how it does.

I received the new card today.

I just finished installing it and running a FurMark to compare against my first card.

Using the same setup as my first card-
Stability Test
1600x1200
Full Screen
No MSAA Samples

The only differences are the new card and I used the 178.13 drivers instead of 177.92.

My new results after 600 seconds is 85-86 degrees C. Nearly 20 degrees cooler!

Thank you everyone here who helped out and BFG for making the explanation and replacement process as easy as possible. I sent the original card out on Monday and have a new and improved replacement in my machine and running today (Thursday).

I just finished installing it and running a FurMark to compare against my first card.

Stability Test
1600x1200
Full Screen
No MSAA Samples

The only differences are the new card and I used the 178.13 drivers instead of 177.92.

Thank you everyone here who helped out and BFG for making the explanation and replacement process as easy as possible. I sent the original card out on Monday and have a new and improved replacement in my machine and running today (Thursday).

85-86C but what fan speed?

Stability Test
1600x1200
Full Screen
No MSAA Samples

That confirmes you now have a good card... ;)

I know that has to feel good. :D

I haven't found anything that will take my GPU's temp higher than FurMark. Consider that your current systems MAX temp...

I think in the 80's running FurMark on the stock cooling, is fantastic for the 280.

can you guys confirm fan speed during Furmark with temps at 80c?

can you guys confirm fan speed during Furmark with temps at 80c?

If he's running stock settings than, I'm guessing it's around 95% (where mine was at). The thing with the OP's settings is that being ten times longer than the stock test... it gives enough time for the heatsink to become saturated enough to find the true max operation temp.

Well, I have similar problem. Have Leadtek GTX280. When on auto fan starts to spin up in just one minute in Crysis Warhead to 100% and temp is 80C. Insatlled Winfox software from Winfast and used manual fan control but that made it worse: fan moved to 50% made card sweating at 105C, then fan starts to spin up and down all the time. Even running ATI tool with that hairy cube in 3D made my card heta up to 105C....

105C=RMA. No question about it at all. :)

Interesting info... I've been forum apathetic in recent months...

My 1st XFX XXX GTX280 hovered around mid-70s under load until it went bad. This card was purchased shortly after the nVidia price drop prior to X2 from Egg when they got shipments. This card was short-lived at the Egg. My recent RMA issues with XFX aside, the second card craps out at mid-to-high 80s in recent tests these past few days.

This is the factory 670 clocked unit. My first card was good until it recently started to have green sprite artifacts in 2D and 3D at idle, high 40c to low 50c temps. My second card is totat crap in terms of controlling temps. At load, temps would steadily rise until 3D corruption at mid-to-high 80s It is a not-so-new looking replacement. My first card was pretty good at holding the temps in the 70s.

BTW, this is with manual fan at 100% at OS boot. Too bad I haven't researched how to make this setting permanent....

So far, the jury is out in my personal experience with the factory OC'd GTX280. I've read some postings about high temps, but is there solid PR about bad initial batches that had cooling problems?

Well.. in this case - I have a problem.. here's a screenshot...:(

furmark-105C-www.jpg

not to sound bad but how many people have told you the same thing? RMA that card.

Don't worry - if you don't RMA the card, it will likely die on you anyway, meaning you'll have no choice.

It happened to mine. I noticed the temps were that high, thought about RMAing it, and while I was busy being indecisive it died on me during a game of CoD4.

Good news is BFG was great about replacing it.

Back