Need help configuring QoS on router

Well what kind of QoS are you looking for? What services do you want to give priority to?
 
Well what kind of QoS are you looking for? What services do you want to give priority to?

Not sure what you mean by what type of QoS. I have ATT Yahoo DSL with a 3.5Mbps plan and my gaming PCs speedtest is 2.7Mbps. I want it to reserve 1.5Mbps and the others on the network can fight for the rest of the bandwidth.

Services are mainly game applications like Steam, Counter Strike: Source, and Battlefield 3.
 
That's more shaping than QoS, as far as limiting bandwidth on users. QoS just prioritizes one set of traffic over another, but any given computer could pull the full 3.5Mbps.
 
Well thats what I'm trying to fix. Whenever I'm gaming and 2 other laptops are browsing web pages, my latency shoots from 9 to 120-500 ping. I just want a steady 1.5Mbps streaming for myself.

I know there's another QoS where if the main PC getting the QoS service, the others don't get any bandwidth (literally) until that PC is done with their traffic. I don't want that one.
 
QoS doesn't do what you want it to do, it tells routers "if you have to chose between processing packet a and b, process packet a first, stick b in a queue". Some routers can also let you set limits on how much a certain QoS traffic can use but it doesn't prevent other traffic from using that bandwidth, it just doesn't prioritize any more than that amount for the QoS'd stream.
 
QoS doesn't do what you want it to do, it tells routers "if you have to chose between processing packet a and b, process packet a first, stick b in a queue". Some routers can also let you set limits on how much a certain QoS traffic can use but it doesn't prevent other traffic from using that bandwidth, it just doesn't prioritize any more than that amount for the QoS'd stream.

Well almost with all QoS settings, you should have the option to set bandwidth options on those queues. I am not sure how in depth that DLink can go, but for instance, at work we tag all voice traffic (RTP) with DSCP EF and stick it in a priority queue and give it X amount of bandwidth.

Depending on how in depth that DLink can go, he may be able to classify traffic on the port numbers and give those ports a certain bandwidth allocation.

I know on my old Linksys, its QoS wasnt really QoS, but I had the option to pull a MAC address from the table and say give it this much bandwidth. Again not real QoS, but for a consumer router, I expect nothing more.
 
So I cant configure this to route a certain amount of bandwidth to my computer at all?
 
Back
Top