need help computer not starting

OlIv0rIolI

Gawd
Hello, my comp is crapping out on me. I was playing the game galactic civilizations and I cause the game to crash. After pressing the windows key and forcefully closing the game application. my screen would repeatly turn on and off. Everytime I move the mouse, the screen would turn off for a sec and the when it turns on again the mouse would be in a new position.

Anyway, I pressed the restart button and restarted my comp, and thats where the real problem comes. It would not boot to windows. I mean the windows logo loading bar would show up and there would be artifacts reflecting on the loading bar to the right. Then after loading, the comp would restart and then showing the options where you choose between safe mode, last working mode, normal mode, etc. I choose safe mode, and successfully booted to safe windows mode, the desktop shows a some artifacts. I checked the graphics driver, it saids working properly. I tried restore, the same problem just reoccured. I tried shutting down, powering off and pulling the plug, nothing works.

Please help. I got alot of data on that hd that will take forever to move to dvds.
p.s. I have raid 0 with 2 hds. I don't think thats the problem though.

That is a little scary that you get arifacting in safe mode, as the vid card drivers are not loaded in theory. Nevertheless, even though it says they are loaded properly, as a starting point I would still uninstall the drivers, use drivercleaner utility to clean out the graphics drivers, and then install the latest drivers.

I don't know how old your system is, but your video interrupt with mouse movement is reminiscent of an IRQ conflict, in which case you could go into the BIOS and enable the option that resets IRQ assignments.

If you post your system info, you may get more (and better) responses to help inquiries :)

Have you tried trading the card out into another system?
Have you tried another card in your system?
Have you tried running a live distro of linux to see if it's something with your windows installation?
Have you run scandisk or any other corruption checking tool to see whether your installation is messed up? tried installing windows to another HD to see if it occurs there?

If you've determined that both your windows install and your gfx card are OK, I'd try swapping out your RAM.

Here are the spec on my sys.

cpu----3400+ 2.2gh 1mb cache
gpu----6800gt agp
ram----1gig corsair xms
hd-----2 80gbs in raid 0

This is all I have, so I can't swap parts around with another comp.

where can I find this driverscleaner utility?

Last night after shutting down my comp for 2 hrs and letting it cool off. I turned it back on and everything worked at first. I opened a movie to watch and after 20 minutes, the windows media screen went black and my comp slowed to a crawl and artifacts appeared in a few places. I checked the task menu. the wmediaplayer was taking up 100% cpu processing and my cpu temp was like 53C. I turned if off right away. I will check again later

never tried linux, I have a copy though. I will try to see if I can get a partition working.

OlIv0rIolI said:
Here are the spec on my sys.

cpu----3400+ 2.2gh 1mb cache
gpu----6800gt agp
ram----1gig corsair xms
hd-----2 80gbs in raid 0

This is all I have, so I can't swap parts around with another comp.

where can I find this driverscleaner utility?

Last night after shutting down my comp for 2 hrs and letting it cool off. I turned it back on and everything worked at first. I opened a movie to watch and after 20 minutes, the windows media screen went black and my comp slowed to a crawl and artifacts appeared in a few places. I checked the task menu. the wmediaplayer was taking up 100% cpu processing and my cpu temp was like 53C. I turned if off right away. I will check again later

never tried linux, I have a copy though. I will try to see if I can get a partition working.

Have you tried reseating the cpu heatsink?

I doubt its the cpu, since when I shut down wmediaplayer in task menu, the cpu temp dropped immediately to 45C. I have zalman 7000b and as5 on that cpu.

Back