• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help choosing new Laptop

Best laptop maker on todays market


  • Total voters
    17
  • Poll closed .

Atlas77

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
139
Ok, so im starting this new job as an insurance salesman which ive been doing for over 15 years but my new employer does everything electronically. So i need to be able to walk in the customers house, open the laptop and log into my works website put in all the customers info and send it in. So i need a new laptop that has a lot of space and a good performance rating and be able to accept cingulars air card for internet access. It also needs a decent battery life around 4 hours would be best. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Stephen.
 
Go to DELL outlet and get you a nice one for cheap still come with new laptop warranty. got my studio 1535 with T8100 dual core 320 HDD 4gb mem with vista home 64 bit for $500.00
 
Lenovo on top with hp slightly ahead of dell...sony, still paying for the name imo (and i've got one)
 
Have to go with HP simply because I have had excellent luck with every HP product I've ever owned. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have never had a Dell that I would call a good experience.
 
I voted Dell, as anyone that follows my posts will see I am a huge fanboy and advocate of warranties for notebooks, fwiw.

Likewise, I hear excellent things about the quality of IBMs, but have no personal experience. My Dell runs like a truck and was a solid investment that I don't regret. YMMV depending on your needs but my Vostro has good build quality, runs well, and all I have ever needed was a new power brick from Dell, which was overnighted. Most of their models are offered with expansive hard drives and optional larger batteries, if you need either of those.
 
I'm sorta in the same boat. I am looking for a laptop but do not need one at this moment. I am starting a computer business and goto school partime and want something portable. I play games on my current system desktop system but I am not a game maniac (I do not have to play the latest titles). I have looked at a few on newegg and have not made a purchase yet. What do you recomment under the $500-$600 mark?

Here is what I am currently looking at:
Acer Aspire AS6930-6942 - $599 after 50 instant rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115539

Newegg sent an email promotion which stated "The Ultimate Gaming Laptop" so it caught my eye. I want it to be powerful enough to do some office productivity software (Windows XP, Office, dreamweaver, adobe flash) but also surf the web, check email, wifi, connect to my business network via VPN and also remote into client computer systems. I dont know much about ACER and their warranty on newegg only mentions a 1yr warranty.

What do you think or recomment? I have also looked at lenovo and toshiba when new egg had specials but failed to act on them for one reason or another.

Thanks!
 
This may be a little off topic, but have you considered just using a smartphone? If you're just entering in some data?
 
Have to go with HP simply because I have had excellent luck with every HP product I've ever owned. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have never had a Dell that I would call a good experience.

Exact opposite for me.....

However, lenovo is clearly at the top of both. I have mainly used Dell laptops, because of budget. Picked up an R60 for $200 (yeah I know, a total steal) and could not be happier with build quality and battery life.
 
IBM doesn't make laptops. Lenovo has reduced the quality of Thinkpads since taking over the brand in my opinion. I would still buy one though. Good value for money.
 
Back
Top