• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help choosing a video card.

Kassem

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
284
Soon I will have no video card so I will need to purchase one. Right now I'm running an 8800GTS w/ vmod (got it from a friend, so thats a maybe). Its running at stock right now, ive never messed with OC'ing video cards but I'm sure its been pushed. Anyways, its going back to my friend so... here are my specs.

ep45-ud3p
q6600 g0
4gb ocz flex 1200
ocz 1000w psu
26" Samsung T260 1920x1200

I'm definitely going to be overclocking the CPU, so temperature could possibly be an issue.

I was originally going to buy a 4890 and then later get another to run in CF. Now that I've been reading and looking at benchmarks a little I've started considering a 5770, then adding another later in CF (maybe 2-3 months).

You know how it goes.. you search, you bounce around from thread to thread and site to site and then you end up more unsure than you ever were before.

So which is it? The 5770 or the 4890? I plan on playing all the new blizzard games that come out in the next 2-3 years. I currently play MW2 and I would like to run it at 1920x1200 max in-game settings. Not sure if I care much about AA/AS.
 
Last edited:
i have no clue... but i have an aditional noob ?

what's a discrete graphics card as apposed to a dedicated or an integrated?
 
i have no clue... but i have an aditional noob ?

what's a discrete graphics card as apposed to a dedicated or an integrated?

Discrete = dedicated.

I anticipate that 5770 prices will fall faster than the 4890. I also anticipate the 5770 will scale better with Crossfire with new driver releases.

The 4890 as it stands is a much better performing card at stock however. Given your resolution the 4890 will do noticeably better now, while I think the 5770 CF will do "better" than the 4890 CF later on. "Better" meaning amazing scalability with much less heat and power draw and noise.
 
If you plan on overclocking, I'd probably go for the 5 series (personally)

just a heads up, I had a mild overclock on my q6600 (3.0ghz) and upgraded to a GTX295 (from a GTX260) and didn't notice much of a difference until I started overclocking it a little more. The CPU was bottlenecking the GPU pretty badly in some situations. I'm not sure how the 5770 compares to the 295, but I suspect that you might run into the same problems.

So, with that said... going with the 4 series might not be a terrible idea... but it sucks buying old tech with new stuff coming out. Maybe pickup another cheap 8800 and run them in SLi?
 
*snip* I currently play MW2 and I would like to run it at 1920x1200 max in-game settings. *snip*

I think neither the 4890 nor 5770 can do that. You may have to step up to the 5850.
 
if you plan on crossfiring that 5770 within the next 3 months, you pretty much answered yourself! theres a post somewhere on overclock.net reporting the 5770 CF scaling being pretty awesome. With the 5850/5870 prices the way they are now, going the 5770 route is pretty attractive IMO.

just got a sapphire vapor x 5770. its sitting on my desk right now! cant wait to get home :p
 
If you care about pure performance in regard to framerates, I would probably go with the 4890. I personally have a 5770 and chose it because of the DX11 support and lower power usage(I only have a 600W PSU) and price at the time. I plan to run two 5770's in the future and I have heard good things about the scaling capability of this card.
 
I currently play MW2 and I would like to run it at 1920x1200 max in-game settings. Not sure if I care much about AA/AS.

the 5770 would probably work, but if you have the cash, go for the 5850.
Your power draw will be higher with two 5770s.

Also running a 8800 GTS now (G92)
so im in the same boat as you.
 
is it that demanding vs version 1?

I could play MW at 1920x1080 w max settings (but no AA) on my 9600GT fine.

yeah... maxed out with my rig, my frame rates vary from mid-30's up to 80-ish maybe? I turn down the specular and bump maps to normal and it seems to give it a nice boost
 
I plan on adding another card later. I also plan on oc'ing the q6600 to its outer limits, so temperature might be factor. I'm in an antec 900 right now. Would the 2x 4890's raise my CPU temps more than the 2x 5770's?
 
Back
Top