Need help choosing a Router with VPN for home

MrValentine

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been reading a bunch of reviews online and was wondering which the [H] crowd would recommend. I'm looking for a home router that also will allow me to VPN to it and handle my cable connection.

Purpose: I"m taking a job next month that will have me away from home for a long while. So i'm wanting to use dyndns to connect to home and check on things via my 2 network cameras.

I've been looking at some linksys solutions (WRV54G) but the reviews are mostly bad. Any recommendations?

EDIT:: Wanted to add that wireless is not needed. And as such I could use some opinions on the RV042 .

Thanks

I've been installing many Linksys/Cisco RV0 series...I'm very...VERY pleased with them. Rock stable, fast, and a plethora of features.

I'd recommend shooting for the RV082...the RV016 is overkill for most home users (16 ports and pricey). The RV081 and 016 models share the same processor (Intel 533MHz), and RAM (32 megs). The RV042 only 4 ports, has a 233 or 266 MHz CPU (I forget), and I think the memory about 1/2 also. The 082 and 016 models also support PPTP with their built in VPN server, in addition to the IPSec QuickVPN client. The 042 model only supports the IPSec QuickVPN...not enough memory to run the PPTP also.

Thanks YeOldeStonecat,

I've been reading up on the RV0's and pretty much came to that same conclusion. Most of the bad reviews are over a year old, so i'm guessing they must have worked out a lot of bugs in the firmware since then.

I was also considering building a IPcop box, but I dont think I want all that hassle. So I'll probably be getting a RV082.

Back