• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help choosing a portable MP3 player

jwelch1103

n00b
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
1
I need advice on which MP3 player to buy. I have been looking to buy two portable MP3 players. One (for my Daughter) for listening to music only, and the second (for me) primarily for recording proceedings of various meetings that I have to record but also at other times to listen to music. Either a flash type or a harddrive based unit will do.

One concern I have (and maybe I do not need to worry about this) is that I have a large collection of VBR MP3's ripped from my own CD's. So I need an MP3 player that will play these VBR files. I would like to have a player that requires no music software, if this exists. Also I would like to be able to voice record in MP3 format if possible, or in a format such as .WAV that I could then rip into .MP3 format (for archival purposes).



So, to summarize what I am looking for:

For my Daughter's unit:
1 - Decent sound quality
2 - Relatively rugged
3 - Up to about $250
4 - Plug and Play, i.e. not requiring any software (third party or otherwise) to operate


For my unit:
1 - Voice record in .MP3 format, alternately record in a format that could be ripped into an MP3
2 - Able to recognize and play MP3 VBR files, alternately to at least play the MP3 VBR files
3 - Plug and Play, i.e. not requiring any software (third party or otherwise) to operate
4 - IF a unit will do everything I need, I am willing to spend the $$$.

Thanks
JW
 
If you want guaranteed quality I would suggest ... iRiver

check them out and see if they have what you need ... I have an iRiver mp3 player (flash) ... and the only thing I would trade it for is another iRiver with more space ...

Guaranteed quality and definitely rugged ... I dropped mine a couple of times and no problem yet ...
 
Yeah, it looks like iRiver players would fit both sets of requirements. For the daughter, you might also want to consider the Creative Zen Micro or the members of the MuVo family of portable audio players.
 
Its already been upgraded, has a software upgradeability built in the device.

Its very hard to remember all the controls, stuff, programming, so many to choose.

I need to select the mp3, like 96kbs 41b, for recording radio shows.
As some recorders, you only get a few choices. So, I really like the many choices
my 890 has.

The recording sound is selectable from my line input. I never record from the headphones.
40-45 is the correct volume, so it fits properly in my 2 sound editing packages, sound forger, and adobe audition. This pogo recorder I have, only gives me full volume, then I use the editing software to decrease the volume...I got several pogo products...radioyour way is my second best digital device....but forget its quality for playing back your ripped cds...radio stuff is fairly good...

xman
 
Back
Top