• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help choosing a new cpu fan

JJI56

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
494
I am using the system in my sig. My old case was very loud so i decided to buy a new Antec SLK3700-BQE case. I've noticed that over the past month my cpus temperature has been steadily rising. I used to get 50C at full load and 42-45C at idle, now i get 54-55C at idle to light load and 59-60C at full load. This trend started in my old case and has continued to the new one. I am using a thermalright slk-947u heatsink and the stock amd fan (i never had time to buy a new fan before and the fan was keeping my cpu relatively cool before so i didnt think too much of it). my cpu is overclocked to 3200+ speeds. even when it is not overclocked, i still get the same temps. The only fan i have in there besides the cpu fan is the stock 120mm fan that came with the case. I decided that it was time to replace the stock amd fan and get a new one. Anyway i saw a few fans that looked like they were decent.

Thermaltake Smart Blue LED Fan Series A2017
http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/smartFanmenu.htm

Thermaltake Silent Cat 9CM A2013
http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/ComboCool/a2013silentCat9/SilentCat9.htm

Panaflo 92mm L1B
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2608&cat=80&page=1

Silenx 92mm x 25mm 14dBA iXtrema Fan
http://www.silenxusa.com/productcart/pc/configureprd_z.asp?idcategory=9&idproduct=37

Has anyone ever used one of these fans? Do you have any recommendations? I want the fan to be quiet but will cool my cpu decently. Thanks for your help.
 
I would recommend the Panaflo over the others. I havent been very impressed with the Thermaltake fans I have used in the past. They either didnt perform as expected or would be intolerably loud.
 
I just installed my Panaflo (92mm) from jab today on a Thermalright SI-97 and the rpm is 1800 solid. I think its supposed to be 2100rpm, but other than that, super quiet and for 1800 rpm its doing a great job. my old thermaltake fan would have to run @ 4900 rpm and still wouldn't cool as good.
 
Of the fans you've listed, the panaflo is the best in terms of performance and sound. Stay the hell away from thermaltake if you care about noise....TT's listed rating on their fans are total BS - believe me, the 92mm fan in my rig right now from them is NOT 21dba, thought it is soon to be replaced by a Vantec Stealth.. :cool:
 
fenderltd said:
I just installed my Panaflo (92mm) from jab today on a Thermalright SI-97 and the rpm is 1800 solid. I think its supposed to be 2100rpm, but other than that, super quiet and for 1800 rpm its doing a great job. my old thermaltake fan would have to run @ 4900 rpm and still wouldn't cool as good.


So you like your SI-97/Panaflo combo over the old Tt Volcano? Figured you would. I love my combo although not as quiet as yours. Still not as loud as the damn Tt fans.
 
I love it, my temp right now is 42c which isnt bad, its a little warm in my apartment. Its crazy, I replaced 80mm case fans with the Panaflo's aswell and its like a whole different pc... Its not going ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and sounding as if its going to fly away! The Panaflo's are the best all around fan I have had.
 
Definitely go for the Panaflo. With it being an RPM-monitored model, that's an even better deal.
 
I'm probably going to go for the panaflo but i have one question. Has anyone had any experience with the silenx fan? The decibel rating of 14 seems a little too good to be true for a fan that pushes 36 cfm. and if the ratings are true, would the noise difference make the extra money worth it over the panaflo? thanks
 
The 14dBA rating to me, is too good to be true. A fan cannot physically be that quiet while moving that much air. Thermaltake does this a lot, where many of their fans are rated at 21dBA. Get the Panaflo.
 
oh yeah, i got a few more questions. what is a heatshrink and fan sleeve? i saw them under the options for the panaflo fan at jab-tech. are they necessary? and is it better to get the 3 pin connector or 4 pin molex connector?

i also saw the panaflo M1A fan at jab-tech

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2044&cat=80&page=1

this fan is 3 dbls louder (30 dbl) but pushes 48 cfm while the L1B pushes 42.7 cfm and is 27 dbl. is 3 dbls a large difference in noise? they are the same price, which fan should i get? thanks
 
The heatshrink and sleeving is just a cover for the wires themselves. Just adds a more organized look to the wires in your case. The noise between the 2 fans are not really noticeable to me but that can vary from person to peron depending on needs.
 
do you think that the extra 4 cfm would really make a difference in the temperature of my cpu?
 
i ran my 2600 mobile at 1.725v and 2.6 ghz with a slk-800 and adjustable enermax 80mm fan at 2300 rpm, i dont get how you people get cpus that run so hot :confused:
maybe my case cooling is just that leet, the 80mm enermax was slowed down to quietness and i was full load at 118F
i got a chieftec dragon with 90mm fan in lower drive cage, and rest all 80's all of them pushing about 30 cfm of air but the 90mm pushes about 40-50cfm all my fans are running in the quiet/silent range, the side panel fan is no different and i made a blow hole, at that time i had a wimpy psu and psu fan so thats irrelevent

and with my p4, i have that running at 1.70v and people say you strictly need water cooling for that...liars its running at 142F and the as5 hasnt even been broken in yet

on the topic of the zalman heat pipe, everyone says its no good, but my friend ran his 6800 gt at 480mhz (i belive he had it flashed to ultra or ultra extreme voltage) with full load temp being 80C, idling its 50C on my video card, it idles at 30C and full load at 46C with it running at speeds in sig with no fan at all

what are we doing that nobody else is doing right :confused:
 
Back
Top