Need help choosing a case

Acemath

n00b
hello all,

For my upcoming build i already know what i want for the "internals"but as always choosing a case is the hardest part;)

I narrowed it down to let's say 5 cases.All of them have their pro's and cons.Basically i need a case with LOTS of room.

Cases i have choosen are these:

Coolermaster Cosmos S Pure Black
Silverstone Raven RV01
Corsair Obsidian
Lian Li PCA71 FB
Silverstone Temjin TJ07

These are already huge cases,but like i said they all have their perks...That's where i need you guys:Wich one is the best of these 5 cases?As silent as possible?

Many thanks

Cosmos S: Noise leaking and really nothing to do with original Cosmos which is quiet design but just too complex.
Raven RV01: OC&C - Over Complex and Cramped... and lots of plastic everywhere including HDD mounting.
Corsair: Big but lot of empty non utilized space with very little HDD bays for its size. Plastic in HDD mountings and unnecessary complexity with airflow more fitting to watercooling.
TJ07: Chambered complexity with hard HDD mountings next to huge direct noise escape paths and most cooling power in wrong chamber. For watercooling modders.

A71FB's design is best balanced with efficient use of space for lot of device bays with good access to everything when installed.
Also it's only one without HDDs having chance to touch anything else than rubber grommets and without direct noise escape paths and internal airflow is laminar and simple (instead of complex loops and misdirections) which are required for case being quiet. Again while light aluminum isn't acoustically as good as steel if that causes problems it's very easy to correct (unlike other kind design deficiencies) by bitumen or combination dampening mats with total weight staying lot lower than still metallically ringing steel case.
Also upgradeability is good with various parts like top and sides available, just wait until they standardize internal pin header for USB3 before getting I/O port kit.

I can only vote for two of the cases on your list, the 800D Obsidian and the A71FB. Which you will be happier with I suppose depends but if you plan on hauling the thing anywhere choose the Lian Li, I'm already tired of lugging my 120lb+ Corsair with me when I decide to take it :D

for watercooling, hands down the 800D just for a big full tower, id have to say ATCS 840 as well. love that case.

I may get an 800d myself. Probally sometime this summer when I upgrade to thuban.

Basically i need a case with LOTS of room.
As silent as possible?

I think you may need to elaborate a little more on what you need the room for, is it room for lots of long graphics cards, drives, or water cooling components?

Do you need the case to be as silent as possible running only on air? If so, the RV01 has a very good base for that purpose:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-raven

I think you may need to elaborate a little more on what you need the room for, is it room for lots of long graphics cards, drives, or water cooling components?

Do you need the case to be as silent as possible running only on air? If so, the RV01 has a very good base for that purpose:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-raven

This was the first case i layed my eye on.Problem is i'm not so happy with the fact that it seems that the sliding of the door on the front makes a lot of noise,atleast according to some reviews.The room is needed for everything you mentioned,except the Wc,atleast for now.So it needs to be as silent as possible on air :D

Thanks to all who took the time to answer :)

One thing to keep in mind is choosing a case that has good cable management features. Makes all the difference in the world.

One thing to keep in mind is choosing a case that has good cable management features. Makes all the difference in the world.

If that's your priority then the Corsair 800D has no rivals whatsoever even though the other cases do admirable jobs.

Cosmos S: Noise leaking and really nothing to do with original Cosmos which is quiet design but just too complex.
Raven RV01: OC&C - Over Complex and Cramped... and lots of plastic everywhere including HDD mounting.
Corsair: Big but lot of empty non utilized space with very little HDD bays for its size. Plastic in HDD mountings and unnecessary complexity with airflow more fitting to watercooling.
TJ07: Chambered complexity with hard HDD mountings next to huge direct noise escape paths and most cooling power in wrong chamber. For watercooling modders.

A71FB's design is best balanced with efficient use of space for lot of device bays with good access to everything when installed.
Also it's only one without HDDs having chance to touch anything else than rubber grommets and without direct noise escape paths and internal airflow is laminar and simple (instead of complex loops and misdirections) which are required for case being quiet. Again while light aluminum isn't acoustically as good as steel if that causes problems it's very easy to correct (unlike other kind design deficiencies) by bitumen or combination dampening mats with total weight staying lot lower than still metallically ringing steel case.
Also upgradeability is good with various parts like top and sides available, just wait until they standardize internal pin header for USB3 before getting I/O port kit.

What a pile of bs. Of that list, the lian li would be the last one I pick. "over complex airflow"--ok mister airflow rocket scientist.

What a pile of bs. Of that list, the lian li would be the last one I pick. "over complex airflow"--ok mister airflow rocket scientist.

That's a nice statement, and you backed it up with reasons and facts and everything! Good contribution!

I have the Silverstone Raven RV01. Pass on it. Its a great case, but its build is not that great and durable. Plus wire management is minimal.

Im thinking about scraping it and getting an 800D like i wanted when it first came out.

I have the Silverstone Raven RV01. Pass on it. Its a great case, but its build is not that great and durable. Plus wire management is minimal.

Im thinking about scraping it and getting an 800D like i wanted when it first came out.

Is it true about the noise from the sliding door?And i'm not putting the rig together myself so i don't care much about wire management :D

That's a nice statement, and you backed it up with reasons and facts and everything! Good contribution!

Yeah because the guy I responded to backed up his statements with facts? He hasn't even owned the cases. He just looks at the pics online and constantly rambles on about silly things when it comes to cases. He does it all the time. I'd know I check the case part of the forums most.

But next time I reply to him, I will be sure to conduct the proper research and develop a thesis statement. I'll even have an MLA style works cited. Get out of here...

What would be a mid-tower case alternative for a Corsair 800D?

nothing really. With hot-swap and all the cable management holes?

and to OP, the 800D and RV01 are probably the quietest case of that list

Is it true about the noise from the sliding door?And i'm not putting the rig together myself so i don't care much about wire management :D

Yes the noise from the sliding door is horrendous. I hold it with my hand to slow it down so it doesnt make RIDICULOUS amount of noise.

Yes the noise from the sliding door is horrendous. I hold it with my hand to slow it down so it doesnt make RIDICULOUS amount of noise.

my friend has the rv01...never heard the door make any noise. In fact...it's totally silent outside his GPU..

If i had a video camera i would record it and show you. Trust me, it makes stupid amount of noise.

Another vote for the Coolmaster HAF 932. Just got one last week. The 3 230mm fans keep the case cool & quite. Dropped my temps 15c. Comming from a Lian Li PC60.

Another vote for the Coolmaster HAF 932. Just got one last week. The 3 230mm fans keep the case cool & quite. Dropped my temps 15c. Comming from a Lian Li PC60.

I'm sure this joke has been made, but is it a mere coincidence that HAF could also mean "Huge-Ass Fan"?

Actually it gives me ideas for what to do to solve the problems I have with my venerable Centurion 5... I have a dremel... now I just need a HAF to put in it.

Back