Need Help Choosing 22'' Monitor - $300 Budget

Code001

n00b
I've been searching this forum's vast amount of information for a few days now, and I figured I'd finally ask the question. I'm in need of a 22'' widescreen LCD that, first and foremost, has great color accuracy and sharpness for programs such as Photoshop, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro. However, I'm also looking for a monitor that can game fairly well, with little to no ghosting. Given that I'll be working with HD video, I'll need HDCP, too. The problem is that my budget is only $300.

Here are a few monitors I've found within my budget on Newegg.

Acer P223Wwd Glossy White 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009124

SAMSUNG 2220WM-HAS Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001262

I never really thought of Acer when it came to "quality" monitors, but the specs on the unit are very nice. There isn't much info on it, but that glossy screen might not be the best for color accuracy. I've heard a good bit of praise on the 2220WM, but it seems the response time isn't the best (which, depending on how bad it actually is, might not bother me at all).

If anyone has any advice at all, other monitor suggestions, etc. please feel free to post it! I understand that I'm not going to get 100% true color accuracy with such a budget, and I also understand that some ghosting is most likely inevitable. However, I'm just trying to search for the best 22'' monitor for me, given my budget. DVI or HDMI doesn't matter as I have the proper cables needed, regardless. Thanks!

If you want a glossy screen, I can't help but recommend the HP w2207 (Or the w2207h, which is the HDMI version). There is a pretty good chance that you'll end up getting one with a Samsung panel (Not saying the other panels are bad, just some prefer the Samsung). It has a great stand aswell.

There is a huge topic about it a couple of pages back.

first and foremost, has great color accuracy and sharpness for programs such as Photoshop, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro.
For that price you can get only TNs so you should visit some shop where you can compare monitors in good conditions (ordinary bright lightning isn't good for that) with test images.
That's because TN monitor can have such little feature as lack of vertical viewing angle, even if you look monitor from front of it lower edge can be pale/whitish looking and upper edge darkish and these colour distorted areas expand/shrink when you move head even little vertically. If you're used to CRT monitor you probably want minimum such distortion of dark and light shades.
Also depending lightning of room you might not want to have mirror looking monitor. (some monitors are way too reflective)

Thanks a lot for the replies! If that Acer AL2216Wbd is good, it makes me wonder if the P223Wwd is better. I saw the HP thread, and it got me real intrigued on the unit. My friend also has the Samsung 2232BW, and it did wonderfully on the LCD tests over at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/. I'm going to head down to my local Best Buy later today and see what selections they have. Thanks again for the help.

samsung 2232BW :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...232bw&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1183160137115

go to the store and find an open boxed, out the door for $285

I agree. I just got mine yesterday. I didn't get a Samsung panel like you but it still looks great. They have a profile up on lesnumeriques that makes the cda version look the same as the Samsung but honestly I like it better without the profile installed. My is a later version than they tested on that site though so perhaps they are calibrating them even better now. Yeah the 226bw S panel is probably the best for gaming but with the 2232bw you get the much nicer styling AND even if you don't get a Samsung panel they still look pretty damn good unlike the non S panels of the 226 model.

Back