Need help...Can't load windows after shutdown.

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Alright so I shut down my computer one know and now it won't boot.

I have windows 7 Pro

What works:
I can boot into safe mode with networking and can access computer

What doesn't work:
I can't load windows farther then login screen. Some times login screen does and doesn't load and when it does load I see the character corsair (sp?) flashing but I can't type while other times if I can type it crashes as I log in and I get the BSOD error in the screen shots below.

I tried windows repair but it fails to repair system.

Other info:
I have not added any new hardware recently besides 2 SSDs but I have successfully restarted a couple times with those in already.

I don't recall installing anything new as in programs.

I also don't have any restore points for some reason.....

So does anyone know why I can make it to safe mode with networking but not regular OS and why I am getting these BSODs???

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mcb27wx3nowz158/AACAi6mWdjmrJHYBS--CPtiCa?dl=0

Did you clone the OS to the SSD? You can have issues moving from ATA mode to AHCI for the OS drive.
If that is not the case, try disabling drivers, services, startup items while in safe mode.

Did you clone the OS to the SSD? You can have issues moving from ATA mode to AHCI for the OS drive.
If that is not the case, try disabling drivers, services, startup items while in safe mode.

no its the same OS on the same drive. Those 2 added SATAs are just extra drives for data. I haven;t even used them yet

Something must of gotten corrupted on shutdown but i am wondering what ti could be.

What drives are disabled in safe mod? Should I uninstall GPU?

Disconnect the new SSDs. It's the only change in you system.

"cursor" is the word you're looking for :)

Those stop codes indicate hardware issues that could range from bad hardware to old drivers - I'd start with what wra18th suggested. Could be that there's an issue on the sata bridge for the ports the new SSDs are in. If it still happens while they're disconnected, run a memory test and/or check for overheating (to make sure you didn't fry a chip with static electricity or knock a heatsink loose).

Since you can get into safe mode, you could upload your memory dump (to find it or them, win+r > sysdm.cpl > OK > Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Look at dump file location) and we can try to find which hardware is faulting.

"cursor" is the word you're looking for :)

Those stop codes indicate hardware issues that could range from bad hardware to old drivers - I'd start with what wra18th suggested. Could be that there's an issue on the sata bridge for the ports the new SSDs are in. If it still happens while they're disconnected, run a memory test and/or check for overheating (to make sure you didn't fry a chip with static electricity or knock a heatsink loose).

Since you can get into safe mode, you could upload your memory dump (to find it or them, win+r > sysdm.cpl > OK > Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Look at dump file location) and we can try to find which hardware is faulting.

yea but i was fine for like several reboots. I put them in a couple weeks ago and was all good. Thats why its weird. Its weird because they are not OS drives....they are just extra data drives so how could they cause windows to crash?....

I'll boot it up now and try to get that for you.

I'll discount the SSDs now though and see how that works.

pulled SSDs out and still a hit or miss on either a rebooting cycle or getting to the login screen and freezing.

BTW not every single time it gets a BSOD. It'll start the windows logo and then go black and go back to ASRock Boot scene

Going into safe mode to try to get that dump.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I ran a checkdisk finally and I put in that dropbox folder pictures of the results.

I also put in the memory dump file. Let me know what you think.

Does the memory dump file per chance contain encryption keys?

UPDATE: I ran a checkdisk finally and I put in that dropbox folder pictures of the results.

I also put in the memory dump file. Let me know what you think.

Does the memory dump file per chance contain encryption keys?

Possibly, depends on what encryption you're talking about, if the system has a TPM, if and how the keys stored in RAM, etc. I dare not comment further because someone much better at dump analysis than I am could come in here and wreck face ;).

A quick analysis of the log (i.e. I didn't look at the asm to figure out exactly what was going on) implicates malwarebytes chameleon in the stack. Your BIOS appears to be significantly out of date (version 1.6, current version is 2.5). Given that, I'd suggest the following:
1) update your bios, as it includes microcode updates that may be causing the WHEA issue
2) if 1 fails, disable malwarebytes chameleon and see if you can boot without issue

You're not overclocking, so for now the above is, hopefully, enough to sort you :)

Possibly, depends on what encryption you're talking about, if the system has a TPM, if and how the keys stored in RAM, etc. I dare not comment further because someone much better at dump analysis than I am could come in here and wreck face ;).

A quick analysis of the log (i.e. I didn't look at the asm to figure out exactly what was going on) implicates malwarebytes chameleon in the stack. Your BIOS appears to be significantly out of date (version 1.6, current version is 2.5). Given that, I'd suggest the following:
1) update your bios, as it includes microcode updates that may be causing the WHEA issue
2) if 1 fails, disable malwarebytes chameleon and see if you can boot without issue

You're not overclocking, so for now the above is, hopefully, enough to sort you :)

yea I am overclocking. My next step after i try what you are mentioning is checking BIOS to see if it somehow maybe resetted or something too.

I didn't realize its that out of date. Wow. I updated it not that long ago I thought lol (maybe a different CP)

I remember now the keys are not in ram as far as i remember for veracrypt. Thats only for certain types of containers.

UPDATE: Awesome thanks!!!!

My BIOS must have gotten corrupted during shut down or something because the update fixed my PC it appears.

Seriously I have not added or updated squat for weeks and reboot several times but it just kicked the bucket and this bios updated solved it! Really appreciate it!

Glad to hear it works :)

FYI - At least in the dump you shared, there was no overclock on the system:
Code:
4: kd> !sysinfo cpuspeed
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz"
MaxSpeed:     3500
CurrentSpeed: 3499

My guess it wasn't anything to do with a BIOS corruption, but the out of date CPU microcode 0x1c:
Code:
4: kd> !sysinfo cpumicrocode
Initial Microcode Version: 00000019:00000000
 Cached Microcode Version: 0000001c:00000000
         Processor Family: 06
          Processor Model: 3c
       Processor Stepping: 03

Probably some set of asm that triggers the behavior in your new (with SSD) configuration. You may want to go through and update your other drivers as well, a number of them appear a bit out of date (but I'd have to go search to verify, and I spent a bit too much time reading about interpreting intel MCI opcodes, dumping microcode, and manually patching a bios to include those updates >.<).

why would it just work for a month and then kick the bucket? that makes no sense. I even removed the 2 SSDs that I added like 2-4 weeks before it hit the fan and it still had the same issue.

the SSDs werent even OS SSDs which makes it more odd they could have somehow buggered it up.

they were only MS200 too so not like they are next gen.

If you did explain what i am asking in your post then I don't understand -_-. You are mentioning asm and mcirocodes and impact with SSD and i dont get it. sorry :/ Trying to understand but never heard of those before.

Back