need help: Can't load firefox once in a while --> Boot up CHKDISK on following boot

edliu512

Weaksauce
This just started happenning today, I cold booted my computer this morning, everything loads like normal, but when i try to run firefox nothing happens. I suspected I tried to run it too soon before the system loaded all the startup processes, but after I restart, windows did a CHKDISK. Then reboot, everything worked fine. I came back this evening, samething happened again, except this time, firefox said it can't find some file . . . The rebooted, CHKDISK started again. After CHKDISK rebooted once more, everything seemed fine, and firefox loads up normally.

What could be causing this problem? Could be virus? I am most concerned with whether this foreshadows a hard disk failure, because I have a lot of data that I can't afford to loose. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

If you're worried about a possible hard disk failure, why not back up now?

As for firefox, you may want to try uninstalling, then re-installing to bring it back around if you're running a Windows box.

I could back up, but really dont got the time to do it at the moment. I got midterms coming up next week. And what is a windows box? I'm running windowsXP pro, just plain that.

"Windows box" means a computer ("box" refers to the tower) running some version of Windows.

Terpfen said:
"Windows box" means a computer ("box" refers to the tower) running some version of Windows.

:D Thanks for clarifying that for edliu512 while I was gone...

Corruption 101 ;)

this doesnt sound like a software issue per se (at least not firefox)
and you should always be maintaining backup of any data you cant afford to loose
as often as not there is no pre-indication of failure

Seems like if I turn on thunderbird ( the firefox companion email client ) before I start firefox, after each reboot, firefox will malfunction. Wierd problem. Could be because of the recent updates.

Back