Need help calibrating Dell 2209WA

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
220
Hey all! So I've been using my dual 2209WA's for a few weeks now and my calibration hardware/software has arrived (Eye-one Display LT) and I have some questions hopefully you guys can help me out with.

I've run through the calibration software (which btw - barely changed any of my settings) and I noticed there was no brightness test. How do I know what's the "correct" level to set my brightness at?

Also, how do I know if the profile is even running? I open up LR and then go to the Color Management tab in Vista and remove the created profile and I see no change in the LR image. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
 
Give dispcalGUI a try. You also need to install Argyll CMS because dispcalGUI is only the graphical front-end. I think Argyll supports i1 Display LT, and it has continuous white-level and white-point readout functionality, which I think is what you want.

Also, in Windows, loading the profile does not automatically load the calibration data (VCGT) embedded in the same ICC/ICM file. Use LUT Manager to load the calibration data, and you should see color changes on screen.
 
Thanks for the info chklin but I can't get the Argyll drivers to load for my i1 colorimeter. Argyll says it should work but Vista keeps telling me there's the driver is not intended for this platform. And thus, I can't get dispcalGUI to show me any tools under "instrumentation" to start a calibration.

Any ideas?
 
I hate asking you obvious questions... but did you follow the Windows installation instructions?

I don't have the i1 LT (but I wish I do). I use Pantone Huey, and it seems to work with Argyll in Windows and in Linux without much hassle.
 
ArgyllCMS does support the eyeone display 2/lt hardware. DispcalGUI looks fairly good. Is it able to report dE94 values and alike? lprof looks to be able to give a visual report, but getting it out of cvs and compiling it with windows would be a pain in the ass.

edit- chklin, how does the Huey work for you? It's half the price of the LT in Australia, so if it reports well it might be worthwhile.
 
Last edited:
It's fine chklin. No harm in asking. I did follow the directions of that link and thought I did everything right. It's just that Vista won't seem to find any acceptable drivers in the "libusbw" folderfor the i1 device. =/

Also, eye-one installed a "calibration loader" and placed it under my startup folder. Would this accomplish the same thing as the LUT Manager you linked?
 
So did it pop up with 'Found New Hardware" when you first plugged it in?

It might have obtained the Pantone driver if you installed their software, if so, you might need to navigate to device manager and select "Update Driver Software".
 
ArgyllCMS does support the eyeone display 2/lt hardware. DispcalGUI looks fairly good. Is it able to report dE94 values and alike? lprof looks to be able to give a visual report, but getting it out of cvs and compiling it with windows would be a pain in the ass.

edit- chklin, how does the Huey work for you? It's half the price of the LT in Australia, so if it reports well it might be worthwhile.
ArgyllCMS does report a wide range of measurements.

  • Monitor: Black level, white level, gamma, contrast ratio, white chromaticity coordinates, correlated/visual color/daylight temperature. There is also continuous white point and white level read-out to help with monitor adjustment.
  • Calibration: Black level, white level, gamma, contrast ratio, white chromaticity coordinates, correlated/visual color/daylight temperature, White point error, maximum neutral error (dE), and average neutral error (dE).
  • Profile: maximum, average, and root-mean-squared error (in CIE94 or CIEDE2000 dE).
Its functionality is quite comprehensive, but I am not sure how much of them is accessible through the GUI front-end. The learning curve for the command-line tools is pretty stiff, but using ArgyllCMS directly allows you to tap all its power.

As for the Huey... I have the non-Pro version, and the bundled software is very limited. However, it works wonders under ArgyllCMS... I have three monitors with native white points at 5331K, 5704K, and 6604K, and after calibration the colors become pretty consistent across the monitors. Note, however, that I don't have anything else to compare against, but I can say that I am quite satisfied with the Huey (when paired with ArgyllCMS).
 
Well I already had the i1 drivers installed so I did the whole "browse my computer for driver software" manual install. I point to the folder "libusbw" folder where I've extracted Argyll and nothing. Says the best driver software for your device is already installed. So I uninstalled the driver/device, (and thats when I get "Found New Hardware" pop-up, and manually tried to install the Argyll drivers and I get the non-compatible drivers error.

I just want to double check, when altering the environment variables path I've got the following under %PATH%

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;d:\downloads\argyll_v1.0.3\bin

the last part being where my zip file was extracted to. Everything right so far?
 
Here is the sample of ArgyllCMS output. The data are real, coming from a Samsung 204B LCD monitor. Medium calibration quality (D65, 2.2 Gamma, native white level) with 16+32+64 gray patches, and verification at the end was run against 100 gray patches.

Code:
Uncalibrated response:
Black level = 0.16 cd/m^2
White level = 115.56 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.99
Contrast ratio = 715:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3075, 0.3511
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6604K, DE to locus = 16.6
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6592K, DE to locus = 14.5
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5938K, DE to locus = 16.2
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6049K, DE to locus = 14.2
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be 8 bits

Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.18 cd/m^2
White level = 97.70 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.17
Contrast ratio = 534:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3120, 0.3290
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6539K, DE to locus =  5.1
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6539K, DE to locus =  0.6
White        Visual Color Temperature = 6356K, DE to locus =  4.8
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6520K, DE to locus =  0.5

Verification results:
Brightness error = 0.006794 cd/m^2
White point error = 0.723792 deltaE
Maximum neutral error (@ 0.059750) = 1.417366 deltaE
Average neutral error = 0.628113 deltaE
 
The output you provided was very interesting. I took another look at lprof and while it isn't based on Argyll I believe it provides similar profiling functionality.

Combined with ArgyllCMS the Pantone huey does look like great value.

edit- The huey is notorious on the internet for producing a defective red tint, with people on amazon still reporting their units as defective to date. Unless there is a confirmed revision or fix, the unit isn't promising.
 
Last edited:
I found a website that has a little more detailed instruction on setting up Argyll. (Specifically about LT issues and having to use another set of drivers on top of the Argyll ones) I'll report back.

Chklin - Is the LUT Manager you recommended necessary in my situation or would the Eye-one calibration loader work the same?
 
edit- The huey is notorious on the internet for producing a defective red tint, with people on amazon still reporting their units as defective to date. Unless there is a confirmed revision or fix, the unit isn't promising.
I don't think that is a big problem. I have had one with a defective green tint too. The nice thing about these defects are that they are very, very obvious, and Pantone do know about the problem. So just take a few pictures showing the defect, report it to Pantone with some details (including the serial number of the Huey, which you can read using a program from the Pantone website), and they will send you a replacement.

(Of course, I should clarify that I am in the U.S. I don't know how easy it would be to get replacements in Australia.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top