Need help building my sane dream machine

prophetx2

Limp Gawd
It's been 2.5 years since I've built my SFF computer, and it's time for another computer to last me a good 2+ years.

Here's what I currently have:

74gb Raptor
2405 Dell LCD
1200VA APC (this is probably the most important hardware I own)

Here's what I have on order, any input would be appreciated.

Opteron 170
DFI NF4 Ultra-D lanparty
Lian Li V1200B
Antec Neo Power 480

Tentatively buying:

7800gtx (probably the 512 once they drop down to $600 or lower) (no plans on using SLI)

Now I'm not quite sure what else I need to buy to get the best out of this system.

1.) I am looking for some good ram. I'm hoping to get anywhere from 2.6ghz - 2.8ghz out of the Opteron. What would be a good 2x1gb stick to get? I'm not too fond of Corsair any more since I've had to RMA my old ram twice to them.

2.) For a cooler I'm still thinking about the SI-120 or getting some sort of watercooling kit (I really don't want to piece this together). Last summer I had to underclock my 3200xp to 2500xp b/c it was so freaking hot. Then again, I didn't have A/C in my computer room in the summer which sucked. Any suggestions on a decently priced water cooling kit that works?

I'm in no rush and probably won't be ready to build my computer until mid to late december anyways. I also don't care about a sound card as I will probably use the built in one from the DFI. Between the video card, cooling, and ram I have about 1000-1100 to spend. Help me spend my money =)

If you have that much to spend and want a 'dream machine' you should go ahead and get the 512 GTX.

Get this for RAM. Some guy on xtremesystems got a 3GHz OC off that same processor.

I don't know anything about water cooling..a lot of people here do though.

Back